March 28, 2024, 01:45:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: making a game  (Read 4689 times)

Offline potato

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
making a game
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:00:42 PM »
hello i am a programmer with the dream of one day making a chemistry simulation program/game that could be used in schools but learning is slow and i suck at maths
so i was wondering of there was some one here who has a lot of free time and would like to help me make a start on this?

the first test version of the program will just be a simple thing of adding different samples together and it will list all the reaction info, tell you what you made (if it knows the name) and maybe have a little digram of the atom and bonds etc

once all that is working i will add more things (if it was not already added) like material propriety's and heat simulations with the first game play things being simple experiments like boiling salt water to separate salt from water
the game will also be done in a first person lab setting with modular equipment eg you place a heat mat on a table and a burner on top that is connected to a gas outlet then a tripod then beaker filled with the salt water
you will even need to turn on the gas to the burner and light it then adjust the air inlets
then you can sell the water and salt for a profit to buy new lab equipment and chemicals
i wish the game to be as close to real life as i can make it so you will not even know the names of things you discover until you run experiments on it

i am also coding my own game engine that is browser based and as far as i know work on all computers as long as you have a keyboard and mouse but i might move to unreal or something at some point

i don't plain on selling the game or anything like that till it is at a quality i would buy my self so it is just a hobby project for the fun of it for now

Offline potato

Re: making a game
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:43:36 AM »
ok how about if i word it like this
dos any one want to make a chemistry simulator? i can program it if you know the chemistry

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 07:41:05 AM »
In general it is not trivial. See a short explanation here: http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=EBAS&right=chemical-reactions
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline potato

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 04:28:30 PM »
don't worry i don't expect to ever get a full finished product but that dos not make it any less fun and known weird things could have a "warning info" thing or something

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
Like Borek: I think the premise is a little too far fetched from a chemistry point of view.  However, playing along a little bit ...

the game will also be done in a first person lab setting with modular equipment eg you place a heat mat on a table and a burner on top that is connected to a gas outlet then a tripod then beaker filled with the salt water
you will even need to turn on the gas to the burner and light it then adjust the air inlets

Ok, this bit requires no chemistry knowledge at all.  Yet it seems important to the overall feel of the game, and show your level of conviction for the project and your skill.  Why not build this part, and shop it around.  And see if it generates interest.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline potato

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 08:04:35 PM »
i have already done that part before using blenders game engine years ago before i knew how to code but since then i have started building my own game engine that runs in a web browser but as of now its only about ps1 quality and missing a lot of key things.... things that i could work around for something like this but things i want to make for other projects any way so its going to take some time for it to be ready
but if the background chem stuff progressed to fast i could always ditch it and move to unreal or something

Offline potato

need help with everything
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 04:56:40 AM »
i am making an attempt to program a "chemistry simulator" but do not know much about chemistry
i have been trying to teach my self chemistry but it is slow and very hard when you cant google things with out knowing the terminology so i was wondering if people here might be able to help me convert knowledge to code

the goal of the program is to make a "simple to use chemistry simulator" where you can mix things together and see what structure and propriety it will have under different conditions and to be able to do experiments to it... say you can do things like add some "hydrogen" and "oxygen" and apply a bit of energy to make some "water" molecules then you could add some NaCl to see how it dissolve and the entire thing will be visualized in a "Structural formula" style to start with.. i can add other visualizers later on

once all that is working i would like to make a "simple" game where you can build a lab/factory to fulfill orders and make a profit to buy new equipment and chemicals... mostly likely it will just be a simple top down grid based game where you place and attach things with pipes but lets just go one step at a time

but any way the first step of this program is going to be how do you tell what elements can combine and what the melting point ect will be... i have gotten as far as trying to work out the "covalent radii" but i cant find how to "find" that number.. everything keeps referring to online charts but the point of it being a "simulator" is i would like as little "pre coded" things as i can get away with

so thanks for any one who wants to help... otherwise i will be asking more questions here in a few weeks time and sorry for my noob ness lol

Offline potato

Re: need help with everything
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:03:23 AM »
well this is gonna go no where fast with this amount of help so maybe i will just try coding a much more simple (boring) game where all experiments are precoded
i am thinking of a simple 2d side on "game" when ever i get around to it lol

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:39:54 AM »
Hi there, potato:, I've gone and merged your current posting with the same topic from last year.  I'm sorry you haven't had more help, but the problem remains the same.  This seems way more complicated than you seem to think it is.  You're really going to have to provide people with some proof of concept, show us some of this graphical salt drying game you mention and lets see where it can grow.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline potato

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
for that i need to know more about bonds and more so how to find the distance between them with out using a pre coded chart or doing real world things ergo why i am asking for help
also this "game" is different to the first one in concept

Sponsored Links