March 28, 2024, 10:08:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pinacolyl alcohol from farm products???  (Read 7791 times)

Limpet Chicken

Pinacolyl alcohol from farm products???
« on: August 05, 2004, 07:27:08 PM »
Hey all.

I read something a while ago, apparently pinacolyl alcohol is available from certain farm products, sheep dip or parasiticide type stuff as far as I can remember, I tried searching for pinacolyl alcohol via google, and all I get is crap relating to its use in synthesizing soman, and the nephrotoxicity of the compound itself, does anyone know more on this?

A synthesis would be nice, but I can't seem to find any patents or anything, which is a rooyal pain in the general rectal vicinity, because I am planning a few experiments with substitutions of alkyl groups to organic molecules (that are STRICTLY phosphorus/and/or/fluorine free!)

Could anyone throw some light on the synthesis of this annoying alcohol?
Thanks.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Pinacolyl alcohol from farm products???
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 01:57:31 AM »
This is going to be a tough molecule to synthesize with everyday materials.  It's not easy to make a quaternary carbon.

Have you looked for pinacolone?  That stuff appears to be dirt cheap from chemical suppliers.  You'd just be a reduction away....

Limpet Chicken

Re:Pinacolyl alcohol from farm products???
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 02:15:33 AM »
There is a reason that I don't want to just buy anything related to pinacolyl alcohol, I myself want it for some pretty random experiments with mercaptans and selenols, problem is, pinacolyl alcohol's only use that I can think of is in the synthesis of the nerve agents soman and chlorosoman, which makes ordering anything like that suspicious as hell :P

Sponsored Links