April 16, 2024, 03:35:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Charge and Resonance in Gibbs Free Energy  (Read 2069 times)

Offline galpinj

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
Charge and Resonance in Gibbs Free Energy
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been looking at the hydrolysis of ATP, and I have a question regarding ΔG = ΔH - TΔS. From what I understand, ΔH encapsulates the change from breaking and forming different bonds in a reaction (leading to either an input or expulsion of heat), while ΔS is a measure of "randomness". Regarding the hydrolysis of ATP, the products are more stable partly because of increased resonance and a separation of charge. How do these variables fit into the Gibbs free energy equation? Is there any way to quantitatively measure variables like these?

Thank you!

Offline OTI

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Charge and Resonance in Gibbs Free Energy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 12:26:06 AM »
You can get ΔHrxn with Hess's Law. You can also get ΔSrxn with something similar too.

However, you need to know the number of moles of each product and reactant as well as the ΔH and ΔS of each product and reactant. Then you can calculate ΔG with the ΔHrxn and the ΔSrxn. T should be 298K (I think).

That's how you measure it quantitatively.

Dunno about the rest. Hope it helps.

Offline galpinj

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
Re: Charge and Resonance in Gibbs Free Energy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:44:57 AM »
Yes, a little bit. I think that the standard enthalpy and entropy values must factor in these kinds of potential energies; however, I'd still like to know specifically how that's determined/if my train of thought is correct.

Thank you

Sponsored Links