April 18, 2024, 09:39:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Triglycerides and phospholipids?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Ilikecats12344

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Triglycerides and phospholipids?
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
Ok so I have a question to answer but I've not really been taught the topic on it, it's a merit question so we barely get any help on it even if I asked I would be given very little to go off. I'm struggling to even put this question into words even I can understand let alone answer it. Can anyone help and clarify it so I have a starting point?

The question is as follows:

"Fatty acids and glycerol can be described as monomers of triglycerides and phospholipids. Describe how structural diversity between different examples of triglyceride and phospholipids can arise from a relatively limited number of monomer units" As far as I'm concerned, I seem to think I'm being asked how the structure can change with only a limited number of monomer units available? or...

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
Re: Triglycerides and phospholipids?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:41:08 PM »
how many fatty acids can be bound to a glycerol molecule to form a triglyceride? how many bound to a phospholipid? What happens if the source fatty acids change?
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Triglycerides and phospholipids?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 01:41:41 PM »
It is a Forum Rule that you must show your attempt before we can help you.  You might start by providing structures and/or descriptions of triglyceride and phospholipid.

Sponsored Links