April 26, 2024, 05:07:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alkali Metal Oxides  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Ricky2015

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Alkali Metal Oxides
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:52:38 PM »
I learnt that - " The tendency of alkali metals to form oxygen rich compounds increases from top to bottom in the group i.e. with increasing cationic radii and deceasing charge density on metal ion."

My Doubt :

How does increase in cationic radii and decrease in charge density help in forming oxygen rich compounds ?

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
Re: Alkali Metal Oxides
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:19:54 PM »
How does increase in cationic radii and decrease in charge density help in forming oxygen rich compounds ?

I am not sure, but I think that increase in cationic radii and decrease in charge density reduce the tendency of the atom to attract electrons in the outermost electron shell(attractive force between positive nucleus and electrons decreases), so they donate electrons more readily to oxygen atoms.
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline Ricky2015

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Alkali Metal Oxides
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »

I am not sure, but I think that increase in cationic radii and decrease in charge density reduce the tendency of the atom to attract electrons in the outermost electron shell(attractive force between positive nucleus and electrons decreases), so they donate electrons more readily to oxygen atoms.

thanks

Sponsored Links