April 24, 2024, 01:59:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TLC method development  (Read 1965 times)

Offline acvkrs

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
TLC method development
« on: February 13, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
hello all...

for long time i,ve been in dilemma whether the tlc procedure we are following in our laboratory is correct or not. the following procedure was given by my senior chemists. please check it...

The following are the quantities of raw materials in a reaction
1.   X1 = 100gm(batch size)
2.   X2 = 130gm
3.   X3 = 220gm
4.   X4(solvent) = 1000ml or 786gm
So total quantity of reaction mass is 1236gm
Limit for the x1 content is 1%
So, here is the calculation I am doing for the preparation of standard solution.
-->Limiting * batch size/weight of total RM * 100
=1*100gm/1236*100
=0.00080gm/ml
=0.80mg/ml
=8mg/10ml (for convinience)
So this 8mg of x1 compound dilutes in 10ml of a solvent, and is treated as “stock stock solution”
1ml of above stock solution dilutes to 10ml with a solvent and is treated as 1% standard solution
1ml of reaciton mass also dilutes to 10ml with a solvent.
Please check whether the calculaiton for the above procedure is correct or not. If not, please suggest the correct calculation. Thanks.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: TLC method development
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »
Sometimes, a block of text, or a list, just isn't conducive to someone understand what you mean, and what your problem is.  Maybe taking your question point by point, we can learn at least what the problem actually is:

hello all...

for long time i,ve been in dilemma whether the tlc procedure we are following in our laboratory is correct or not. the following procedure was given by my senior chemists. please check it...

So you don't have a question, or a problem, you just want us to 'check everything'?  You really shouldn't do that, on this forum.  That's part of the Forum Rules{click}

The following are the quantities of raw materials in a reaction
1.   X1 = 100gm(batch size)
2.   X2 = 130gm
3.   X3 = 220gm
4.   X4(solvent) = 1000ml or 786gm

Some of that makes sense, but not all of it.   You have different quantities of active in different batch sizes?  That makes perfect sense.  Greater than 3 times as much in the solvent?  That doesn't make sense.  Or are you telling us sample size, based on sample?  Hard to follow.

So total quantity of reaction mass is 1236gm

And a comment completely out of left field.  I just don't follow this.  Add some qualifiers, as necessary, and add the everywhere else, as appropriate.

Limit for the x1 content is 1%
So, here is the calculation I am doing for the preparation of standard solution.
-->Limiting * batch size/weight of total RM * 100
=1*100gm/1236*100
=0.00080gm/ml
=0.80mg/ml
=8mg/10ml (for convinience)

Taking all your constants at face value, and typing your calculation into a calculator, I get the same number. 
So this 8mg of x1 compound dilutes in 10ml of a solvent, and is treated as “stock stock solution”
1ml of above stock solution dilutes to 10ml with a solvent and is treated as 1% standard solution

Yes, one ml into 100 mls is 1 percent.

1ml of reaciton mass also dilutes to 10ml with a solvent.

I don't know where this comes from.

Please check whether the calculaiton for the above procedure is correct or not. If not, please suggest the correct calculation. Thanks.

What do you think is wrong with it?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links