April 20, 2024, 07:44:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vincristine/vinblastine extraction from periwinkle help  (Read 13440 times)

Limpet Chicken

Vincristine/vinblastine extraction from periwinkle help
« on: August 06, 2004, 08:12:22 PM »
I need to do an extraction of the periwinkle plant of the indole based anticancer drugs vinblastine or vincristine, I know the pink flowered madagascar periwinkle is the one used for commercial production of these alkaloids, but do either the blue flowered lesser or greater periwinkles contain vincristine/vinblastine to any extent? and how would I go about an extraction/purification?

Also, does anyone have the formula and structure for the chemical makeup of these alkaloids?

Thanks.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Vincristine/vinblastine extraction from periwinkle help
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 08:41:52 PM »
I don't know about the extraction, but here are the structures, etc.:

I hope I didn't screw them up, I had to copy them out of a book.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 08:59:05 PM »
Thanks Movies, ooohhh...I can just see that this is going to be more difficult than I had thought, I don't suppose your book has any alternative nomenclature concerning vincristine/vinblastine does it? *looks hopeful*. Thanks again.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 04:53:20 PM »
What kind of alternative nomenclature are you looking for?  The IUPAC names?  There might be some other "common" names, but they probably wouldn't do you any good.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 05:01:24 PM »
Yeah, th IUPAC name was what I was after,  vincristine and vinblastine are indole based are they not, I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to use them as a starting point for preparing various alkyl-substituted indole compounds, if not indole itself?

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 01:49:26 AM »
Heh, yeah there is an indole in vinblastine, but that wouldn't be the best way to get at indole.  Indoles are so prevalent in natural products that there is a ton of different methods for making substituted indoles.  For starters, I would look into the Fischer, Bischler-Mohlau, Bartoli, and Madelung indole syntheses.

I would imagine that the simplest indole containing compound to get ahold of would be tryptophan.  Seratonin is available over the counter as well, and that's got an indole in it.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 02:20:07 AM »
Is serotonin REALLY available OTC (in the UK)?, so I could just walk in to a chemist and ask for serotonin? (no I don't plan on using it on myself LOL)

Or would it have to bee ordered from a supplier? i'm not too sure how suspicious that would bee though, due to it being a precursor, or at least a precursor to precursors of the tryptamines?

Thanks movies, you have been quite a lot of help.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 12:19:16 PM »
Seratonin is sold in the US over the counter, I think.  It's just on the shelves in the drug store.

It's sold as a natural anti-depressant.  I don't know if it actually works, but a lot of these herbal things are just hype anyway.

I might be thinking of melatonin, but hey, that's got an indole too.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 12:33:57 PM »
Serotonin won't cross the blood-brain barrier, melatonin isn't approved in the UK unfortunately, or I would be buying it by the kilo  ;D
I have other uses for serotonin though, I'm getting a crapload of trichocereus peruvianus soon, and I have heard that a shot of serotonin every few weeks keeps them nice and happy LOL ;D

Sponsored Links