April 27, 2024, 01:21:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Purifying Nitric Acid?  (Read 3198 times)

Offline RocksInHead

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Purifying Nitric Acid?
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:24:49 PM »
I was wondering if it would be possible to purify Nitric Acid by making crude Nitric Acid and adding copper to it, then collect the Nitrogen Dioxide gas and bubble it into a beaker of water. Please let me know if this would work, and how much I would get out of it.

Thanks.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Purifying Nitric Acid?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 03:16:51 PM »
I was wondering if it would be possible to purify Nitric Acid

Purifying it free of what contaminant?

by making crude Nitric Acid and adding copper to it, then collect the Nitrogen Dioxide gas and bubble it into a beaker of water.

Crude in what way?  Too much water? Then no, dilute nitric might not release nitrogen dioxide. Paulings', Chemistry is a good text book for understanding this.  Also, nitrogen dioxide is difficult to collect, given that it attacks everything except maybe glass, and you will find it hard to make a concentrated acid this way.

Please let me know if this would work,

Its hard to know, because few people would bother.  People who are qualified to handle it just buy it.  People who aren't qualified to handle it just give up, hopefully before they hurt themselves.

and how much I would get out of it.

Now see, this isn't a question that can be answered at all.  You get a certain percentage of what you start with whenever you manipulate anything.  How much cake can you make?  How far away is your destination from me?  No one can answer those questions.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »
Nitric acid can be distilled with partial decomposition. It forms azeotrope with water containing ~68 % HNO3. Reduced pressure diminishes decomposition.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Nitric_acid
AWK

Offline RocksInHead

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 03:23:25 PM »
Nitric acid can be distilled with partial decomposition. It forms azeotrope with water containing ~68 % HNO3. Reduced pressure diminishes decomposition.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Nitric_acid

Thanks!

Sponsored Links