April 24, 2024, 01:01:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: internet connection speed  (Read 11942 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
internet connection speed
« on: May 07, 2006, 03:30:42 PM »
You only have dial-up! :o

The U.S. has been pretty slow in adopting broadband. Mostly I'm thinking it's cost and availability in underdeveloped areas. I have a big fat 6 mbps pipe down stream. My upstream though is a sad 356-768 kbps. I guess Comcast must have upload limits. :(

I host all of my music, all 2056 songs, from my computer though. If I'm at someone's house and I want to listen to my music or I'm telling them about a song, I just access my router remotely. Then I connect to my computer and access my shared drive of music. It's really useful, but if I do it to much in a month, my upload bandwidth slows down. 356 kbps is still quick enough to stream my music usually given the person has a broadband connection.

I definitely do not miss dial-up.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline david

• Chem Crony
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +10/-2
  • Chemophobic
    • qersys
Re: Web hosting
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 04:03:05 PM »
I have Comcast as well. I pay 52 a month and I get 6M down and 768k up. Check with them to see if they have tiered service available.

I asked them because I run my own server from home and I need the extra upstream. Wish I could afford more.

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re: Web hosting
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 04:21:18 PM »
The U.S. has been pretty slow in adopting broadband.

OECD Broadband Stats

You're right, I would have expected the US to be much higher up. Canada is way ahead! :)

In the UK you can get 22Mbps download speed with up to 786kbps upload speed for £30/month but I'm stuck with 8Mbps download & 256kbps upload for not much less (£25/month I think :(). I'll be off to uni soon so no point in convincing mom to upgrade.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: internet connection speed
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 06:09:13 PM »
I live in the UK.

I pay £20/month for an unlimited internet connection with 24mbps download speed and 1mbps upload speed.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 06:11:31 PM »
Cool! Which ISP?- I'm interested!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 06:13:25 PM by will17 »

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 06:17:26 PM »
Broadband is pretty expensive here, I think it would cost me around US$45 per month.  I'm cheap, and I *already* pay the cable company over $50 for TV.  The idea of sending one of my least favorite companies over $100 per month makes me feel icky.  Add a dose of stubbornness, and still on dial-up I am.   :)

I think that, in many places outside the USA, there has been a much better effort towards creating a good network that benefits the public.  Here, the only real reasoning is whatever maximizes the profits of the telecoms (who control the legistators), and keeping prices high furthers that.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »
Cool! Which ISP?- I'm interested!  ;)

http://www.bethere.co.uk

I had the promotion deal, so I am paying 4 pound less per month :D
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 06:25:19 PM »
I think the slow adoption in the U.S. is the fault of the cable companies and telecom companies with their absurd prices. We pay like $45 around here and comcast is the only multi-megabyte connection. Verizon has 1 mbps for $35 some odd dollars. This is all U.S. by the way. I'm hoping that when Verizon finishes their fiber optic network they'll offer faster speeds at a lower price and give comcast some real competition.

David your probably right. My upload speed may be tiered. I realized though that it jumps up and down from 768-356 kbps. The U.S. will catch up when broadband prices drop more.

Mark Kness, my mom sends the Comcast a fat check of around $75 for our cable services, but we have 2 movie packages plus like 200 channels including all the regular channels. All together she sends Comcast like $115 a month which is an insane amount.

Sorry for getting off topic also. Thanks creating a new topic though David.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 06:51:25 PM »
comcast owns.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 08:31:10 PM »
comcast owns.

not gonna lie i have comcast too and it's the quickest i've ever seen
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 09:33:31 PM »
true comcast does own all but i have Qwest and i get 7Mbps which is enough for me, i guess :-\
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline Baseball_Fan

• Mole Snacks: +7/-30
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 10:03:21 PM »
There are commercials on television that yahoo dsl is $12 bucks a month, for 1.5 megs down and 768 up, and for $16 a month it is 3 megs down and 1 meg up. Not horrible for 12 bucks. Hopefully this will force cable companies to lower their prices. $50 a month is ridiculous. How often is there a need for 6 megs down? I would say that 90% of the time, I'm reading email, reading news, or visiting forums/websites like this one.

Dial up sucked because it took 10-20 seconds for a static web page to open. I can wait for a download as long as I can view other pages while waiting.

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 04:56:01 AM »
I have ADSL broadband at home 1024kbs in, 512kbs out, no limit for about 20€/month. At work... well it's university 1gbs LAN connected to the main grid, but my workstation's ethernet card's limit is 100mbs so that's what I get. I really should ask for a 1gbs card.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Baseball_Fan

• Mole Snacks: +7/-30
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
I have ADSL broadband at home 1024kbs in, 512kbs out, no limit for about 20€/month. At work... well it's university 1gbs LAN connected to the main grid, but my workstation's ethernet card's limit is 100mbs so that's what I get. I really should ask for a 1gbs card.

What is the difference between ADSL and DSL? Is one better than the other?

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 03:03:29 PM »
ADSL stands for asymmetric digital subscriber line, and the download speed is different from the upload speed, which is what most people have (download faster than upload), and when people in the US say DSL, they usually mean ADSL.

SDSL is the other type of DSL, the S standing for symmetric, where the upload speed is the same as the download speed, which is what most businesses, which upload a lot, have.

See here for a better description.

Sponsored Links