April 25, 2024, 10:05:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: history classes: yet another controversial topic by yours truly.  (Read 13725 times)

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
none of the history classes i have ever taken have taught me about the crap of the world. the stuff that we can't pretend didn't happen is taught, but not the other stuff, what happened in Dresden is an example. a link to dresden:http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWdresden.htm
does anyone have any historical facts like the ones about dresden that i should know about? one of my teachers told me about these children who were born defected because their mother was given this drug to stop miscarriages. here's another dresden link for those who care. http://www.rense.com/general19/flame.htm
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: history classes: yet another controversial topic by yours truly.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:10:56 PM »
Wow this one actually has some chemistry in it! :o

I think your teacher was talking about thalidomide. A morning sickness drug. There are some discussions about it already on this site I think. You can find out alot from the net on this. It is mainly concerned with chirality and separation of enantiomers etc etc

Remember that some of these things will be sensitive topics to some people reading this site, so try to be a bit diplomatic and sympathetic. :)
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:00:36 AM »
im not trying to make anyone mad here, rather i would just like to learn about the stuff that people don't normally pay attention to. i want to learn about the stuff that people normally pretend doesn't happen. i would like to be an "informed" citizen so to speak. so if anyone has any thoughts then feel free. :)

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 12:59:02 AM »
I had an experience like this just a couple days ago.  I was browsing the web for Flash site examples, when I stumbed across a website called http://www.theforgotten.org.  It details the Armenian Genocide, the first genocide of the 20th century, and is unfortunately overshadowed by the Holocaust (that's not to say that the Holocaust wasn't atrocious...but it shouldn't make genocides that preceded it less 'important')

I think the figure they gave was 80% of the Armenian Population was wiped out by the Turks.  A huge number.  As I watched the video (unfortunately small), I couldn't believe I'd never heard of it.  History up to Grade 10, and not a word about it.

That's VERY unfortunate.

Google "Armenian Genocide" to learn more.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:20:11 AM »
Not to mention genocide that occurred after it and genocide that is happening right now!
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 03:18:28 AM »
I have mentioned it before - Warsaw uprising. See my posts in this thread:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=4206.0

And be carefull to not mistake Warsaw uprising with earlier Warsaw Ghetto uprising.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 04:15:40 AM »
One piece of American history which commonly gets overlooked in history books is the forced repatriation of Mexican Americans (many legal imigrants or children born on American soil and therefore US citizens) in the 1930s during the Great Depression.  While probably not as devastating as some of the other events mentioned in the thread, this and the internment of Japanese Americans less than ten years later during WWII are certainly some things to think about in relation to contemporary events.

For more info on the repatriation of Mexican Americans, see this news article:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-04-04-1930s-deportees-cover_x.htm

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 08:39:04 AM »
yes! this is the kind of stuff i was looking for. contemporary events as well
Not to mention genocide that occurred after it and genocide that is happening right now!
can you elaborate on this one?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 08:56:39 AM »
wow.

lemonoman, i didnt even knew it existed at all. but after going through the site, i must say what shocked me most was that in the end, it was the precursor to the Holocaust, and Hitler banked on the world's inaction on that genocide...
one learns best by teaching

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:16:55 AM »
I only heard about it after seeing a link to a page on the Genocide Remembrance Day on Wikipedia's home page on April 24th. I was shocked to find out that relatively few governments recognise it as a genocide, and that Turkey is in denial about many horrendous aspects of the genocide. See this poster: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Turkish_denial_small.jpg.

I also did some research last year on the Ukrainian 'Holodomor' and some historians/scholars still deny that it was caused by Russian collectivization. I am no historian but I am convinced that it was partially intentional and hence I would agree that it was a genocide.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »
Denials...

http://www.geocities.com/katyn.geo/ (note - I don't know the site, but it describes the historical background for all those not knowing Polish history)

AFAIK during Nuremberg trials Russian prosecutor named Katy? massacre crime against humanity - but it was in the time Germans were accused of killing Polish officers. Once Russians admitted they murdered Poles, it became normal crime, long ago fallen under the statute of limitations. This change of classification is very convenient for Russians, as statute of limitations doesn't hold for crimes against humanity.

Few months ago Russians have closed their investigation. There were no guilties found. Looks like this is not the end of the story yet, it will continue in international courts - not for the sake of finding guilties (60 years passed, they are long dead probably) but for the sake of historical truth.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 11:39:31 AM »
not for the sake of finding guilties (60 years passed, they are long dead probably) but for the sake of historical truth.

... long dead hopefully!

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 12:32:15 PM »

Well, for one there's genocide going on in Sudan right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darfur_conflict

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »
Is Saddam and his use of chemical weapons on the Kurds considered genocide?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 08:30:23 PM »

Well, for one there's genocide going on in Sudan right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darfur_conflict

If you read the new york times you would have read an article by nicholas kristoff (sp) about the genocide in darfur. it's been going on for generations now but no president has ever cared until kristoff wrote about it and won the pulitzer prize for his article. no it's in the news and our wonderful president (he says sarcastically) has decided to do something about it.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Sponsored Links