March 28, 2024, 08:13:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 615416 times)

Offline tmartin

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »
Hello everyone.  I'm a 4th year graduate student studying organic chemistry at UNC, I was introduced to this site by a coworker, and figured I'd register and check it out.  Looking forward to the interesting and insightful discussions/questions here.

Offline DarkLightA

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
Hi!

I'm an intelligent kid soon moving into my freshman year, and I find it fun to learn more about chemistry here as I find it awesome, and sometimes I need some help with things my teacher can't answer.

Is it normal for 8th grade teachers to teach new chemistry students things like:
Al + HCl ==> AlCl + H
Which I have gone onto the internet, and after a bit of research I can now make correct formulas for just about anything:
2Al + 6HCl ==> 2AlCl3 + 3H2

Key rules for me:
1. Acid(aq) + Alkali(aq) ==> Salt(s) + H2O(l)
2. Acid(aq) + Metal(s) ==> Salt(s) + hydrogen(g)
3, Acid(aq) + Metal Carbonate(s) ==> Salt(s) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)
4. Metal(s) + H2O(l) ==> alkali(aq) + Hydrogen(g)

Where 'hydrogen' refers to H2 in all cases.

Feel free to chat with me!

"DLA"

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
I'm an intelligent kid

If so you will soon realize that posting chemistry questions in "Introduce yourself" thread doesn't make sense  :P
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline researcher

« Reply #243 on: November 21, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
oh I hadn't seen this topic.
So, hi! I'm in the last year of high school and next year I'll start studying engineering. Also, English is not my first language, so I apologize for my writing.

Offline Wreath

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
Hi there.
I´m Adam, from Czech republic. Studying 3rd year molecular biology at Charles University, Prague. Now doing my Bc work about NG2 proteoglycan and it´s role in melanoma invasivity. I´d like to continue and graduate in molbio or biochemistry. Glad to be here, I´ve learned lot of new stuff  ;)

Offline baboom

• Mole Snacks: +0/-9
« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »
Hi,
This is confused and tired. Too much sniffing in the lab ;D
BABOOM!! :o

Offline skyjumper

• 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-4
  • Lab Aid
« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Hey. Im Pierce and I am still in high school, but have a deep love (and I like to say a fairly good understanding) in chemistry. I currently teach and demonstrate as a department aid, and put on a good show for whoever happens to be in a class I work with.

Offline Melody

« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »
Ciao!

My name's Elena, I'm a 29-years-old italian girl, from Prato (near Florence, Tuscany).
I'm graduated in pharmaceutical chemist but I'm working in a company making plating solutions, where I do both analisys for products quality controls and R&D.

I can say that I've always been in love with Science, and I found my way in Chemistry at age of 19, when I chose to begin my studies in pharmaceutical chemistry and technologies at Florence University: it has been a long, long journey, but I got my satisfaction :)

Metals world is a very new thing for me because it's only a year that I began this job, and I feel like everyday is a new adventure...

I hope I will find here not only answers for my doubts, but also -and above all- people who share my passion for chemistry & science, and I hope I could contribute with my specific knowledges  ;)

see you on board!

Offline savy2020

• Mole Snacks: +7/-9
« Reply #248 on: December 15, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »
Hi,
I'm Savant from India.
I'm a 12th grade student.
My present goal is to get into an IIT.
I love Math, Physics and of course Chemistry
:-) SKS

Offline needy

« Reply #249 on: December 27, 2009, 11:23:38 AM »
I'm a workaholic who after 23 years working in my previous profession experienced burnout.  Don't recommend it to anyone.  I am married with two sons and it was a very hard decision to return to school and what to take.  I decided on Chemical Engineering because of my love of science.  It hasn't been easy but I am glad I did it.  I can't wait to graduate and get out working again. 

Offline doc30

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #250 on: January 04, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
Originally from Windsor, Ontario, Canada where I earned by BSC and my PhD. Living and working in Florida for over 15 years. I look after all the spectroscopy work for a research center for a multinational corporation. Polymers, coatings and surfaces are my most common areas of study.

Offline ki98mama

« Reply #251 on: January 18, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »
Hello,

I have written a short introduction on the Chemical Engineering forum as well.

I am something of an odd ball as i am both a Chemical Engineer and a Chemist (Analytical but my degree says chemistry  ::)).

I came into contact with chemistry when I went to the "Great Freedom Country" to study English as an exchange student when I was 15-16 winters old.

I am a whizz kid in chromatography (GC-MS, LC-MS/MS) and general analytical work, though it has been a long time since I have worked in that field. I have worked as a Station Chemistry ass. (Nuclear), Development Engineer (semi conductor equipment) and am now back in the nuclear industry as a consultant in the UK.

I was born Finnish in Sweden but turned Swedish by my Finnish mother who didn't want me to do military service in Finland, married to an English Irish girl who wants to turn me Irish in England...

Oh, I am an unglorious bastard as well as arrogant and evil, just so that you know.  :P

Offline Ligander

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
  • Jah, muidugi kuid ei
    • Schulich Faculty of Chemistry - Technion, Israel
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2010, 05:46:32 AM »
 I'm 30 years old undegraduate student(alas!) in Chemistry and Materials' Engineering from Technion(Israel).

Feel free to speak to me Russian and Hebrew.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2010, 05:26:06 AM »
Hello everybody.

I know it's a bit late to introduce myself, but better late than never!

I'm Adharsh Raghavan from India. You can call me Schrödinger.
I'm 17 and I'm in my last year of high school.

I've been here since last year, and I have found this place awesome!

I have always loved chemistry - It's such an interesting and integral part of my life. I don't claim to be good at it. But I guess I am getting better by the day. I have always looked at Chemistry as something/somebody that/who can tell you what is happening all around you, why they happen, how they happen, etc.

After high school, I plan to do a 5-year integrated BS-MS course that encompasses all basic sciences for the first 2 years and then concentrate on Chemistry for the rest of the course. Then I'd like to obtain my PhD in chemistry. My biggest goal would be to master all aspects and fields of Chemistry. Many might laugh at this, but this is a strong ambition. I pray to God to give me all the hope, knowledge and will power to achieve my goals.

My ultimate ambition is to become a chemist. I would love to gain all the knowledge that chemistry has to offer, do a lot of research work, probably spread the knowledge all around, and leave it at that. I have no plans to make money out of the knowledge that I will have obtained and will pursue my life as a scientist, only for the love of the subject and human curiosity. Probably just a little bit money to stay alive. I believe chemistry has driven me closer to God and I've started to marvel at all the beautiful aspects of nature. I'd like to keep this going as long as I'm alive.

Like my signature says "Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline dodo

• Very New Member
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2010, 12:24:41 AM »
Hello... newb to this forum and to be quite honest, chemistry is not my best subject. Need some help with some questions and hope someone is around to help me out. Now off in search for a helper!

Sponsored Links