April 23, 2024, 11:40:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 618835 times)

Offline STraxler

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #375 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »
Hi, my name is Steve, I graduated from Michigan Tech in 86 with a BSCHE.  I have been doing both Chemistry and Engineering work since then.  My preference is definitely chemistry.  I currently work for a major paint company doing formulation work.

Offline TheHitokiri

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #376 on: May 02, 2013, 01:55:15 PM »
Hello, I'm Con. 23 years old and a Chemical Engineering undergraduate at Nanyang Technological University. I have a burning passion for organic chemistry and I had a good experience on some short-term research work on co-crystallization and polymorphism at a local research institute.

Priyanka24

« Reply #377 on: May 30, 2013, 06:36:25 AM »
Helozzzz to all

My name is Priyanka working as an internet marketing executive and have done Graduation with science background. Chemistry was my favorite subject since my high school. i alwayz use to score very good marks in chemistry as compared to others. I have further continued my education as engineering in chemistry but because of some reasons i have to change my stream which was very sad for me :(. But now i am used to it and i got thrilled when i see such kind of forums.

SeriouslySensual

« Reply #378 on: June 01, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
Hi there, i'm Dee and I've been studying the major chemical engineering Mpd in University Berkeley. I'm looking forward to making some new friends here.

Offline NotSureIfSRS

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #379 on: June 15, 2013, 09:18:05 PM »
Hey there everyone.

I'm sitting Scholarship chemistry this year in order to try get into a reputable University, I thought joining here would aid me in places I would struggle.

Bountyhunter

« Reply #380 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
Hi - I'm Bruce.

I'm an industrial chemist in Australia (Brisbane).

Did my degree in the 1980's, topped up with post grad in Tech Mgt and MBA as well as some specialty courses through the years. Now own my own manufacturing plant.

We do mostly toll manufacture of detergents / water treatment chemicals / fertilizers and paints - pretty mixed bag. Lots of disparate formulation chemistry - lots of fun!

Offline icarus

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #381 on: June 26, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
hey everybody.

i'm a 23 year old biology major, in general chem 2 right now. i took general chem 1 awhile ago so some of the concepts are hazy, hopefully they will come back :) cheers

Seflapod

« Reply #382 on: July 05, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm Simon, an undergraduate studying chemical sciences (nanotechnology and materials) at UQ, Australia.

I came to love chemistry later than most; I didn't have the option of taking it in high school, and it was only when I had turned 25 and earned a Diploma of Science did I realise that chemistry was the path I wanted to pursue. Prior to that I had worked in business and retail, having been mentored by a retired head of Occidental Chemicals. It was somewhat financially rewarding, but I felt a growing regret that I hadn't pursued the dream I'd had as a young teen; to be actively involved in the burgeoning field of nanotechnology and try to change the world! After receiving admission to my local university (James Cook, a world leader in ecology and environmental research, but sadly not so much in chemistry), I handed in my leave notice and began my long road as a science student. I was offered a transfer to the University of Queensland in Brisbane to join the Advanced Study Program in Science, which has allowed me to learn under some truly remarkable leaders and teachers.

I am driven by the current era of innovation and technological advancement; whenever the stresses of study get me down, or the pressure of student poverty becomes too much, or the doubts of being an older student in a class of barely drinking-aged kids makes me falter; I look to the human advances that are made with exponentially increasing acceleration and I remember: I want to be a part of that. I don't just want to live to see the new humanity we make for ourselves, I want to have had a hand in it.

Chemically, I'm chiefly interested in organic synthesis, natural product characterisation and synthesis, self-assembly and organometallic chemistry in drug design. I have a fascination with enzymes as nanomachines, but find biochemical lab work to be unsatisfying (unlike chemistry lab work, which I find extremely rewarding).

Outside of academia, I barbecue anything delicious I can get my hands on, argue with my friends over beer about important issues like why Risk was the superior board game to Monopoly, read whatever books that fall into my clutches (hard sci-fi, speculative nonfiction, RPG core books and the philosophies of Nietzsche and Rand seem to be the preference) and go hiking and camping in the bush with my girlfriend. I also read far too much Wikipedia late at night.

Well that's me, all the very best to you all, and I hope to one day meet and perhaps work with some of the members of the forum. Also, I am in the process of learning to speak Russian, so if anyone is fluent and would like an Australian chem-pal (oo, terrible almost-pun) please let me know! ;D

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #383 on: July 09, 2013, 11:40:06 PM »
Hi y'all,

I'm Ingo from Hamburg, Germany, and just found this forum a few weeks ago whilst searching for some chemical data  (i.e.: Google brought me here)
Then I did a look around, found a lot of threads interesting, and decided to stay for a while and try to be helpful (and along the way brushing up my English a bit)

Looking forward to work with this nice community!

regards

Ingo

p.s.: did my Ph.D. in chemistry in '93, working on highly strained medium ringsized olefins: trans-cycloheptene and such stuff
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

fahimaiub

« Reply #384 on: July 13, 2013, 03:34:58 AM »
Hello guys, I am new in this forum.

Offline antimatter101

• Mole Snacks: +9/-26
« Reply #385 on: July 17, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »
Ello, Im Edward and I study in a secondary school in Sydney. I found this site becouse of Google...

Offline Illuminatus

• Mole Snacks: +10/-0
« Reply #386 on: July 17, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
Hello Forums,

I am an undergraduate at UC Berkeley; my course of study/major is Chemical Biology. I am currently an intern in the Analytical Chemistry department of a biopharmaceuticals company here in the bay area.

I hope my services prove useful.
Is 137 the end?

Offline mjpam

« Reply #387 on: July 26, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »
Hi-

I'm not sure exactly what to say about myself. I have an abiding love of and fascination with chemistry. Because I have a BA in Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular biology, my chemistry interests have mostly focused on its interface with biology, although I have recently developed an interest in heterocyclic organic chemistry, in paticular series of compounds formally created by systematically replacing carbons with a single heteroatom (e.g., the (poly)azepines).

I would like to eventually get a PhD and join the academic sphere. As I am a bit intellectually promiscuous, I would gladly attend the program of any department that accepted me, but my preferred specialization would have a chemical-biological slant to it.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #388 on: July 26, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »
Welcome, mjpam.
intellectually promiscuous
I'm not sure what this means, but it sounds dirty. :P
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline mjpam

« Reply #389 on: July 26, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »
Welcome, mjpam.
intellectually promiscuous
I'm not sure what this means, but it sounds dirty. :P

It means that I have many research interests that I would like to cultivate, so, if I get accepted into a math PhD program where I can study computational protein structure prediction, I will be just as happy as if I got into a biochemistry PhD program where I can study the kinetic of protein folding through directed mutagenesis. :)

Sponsored Links