April 24, 2024, 10:03:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ammonium nitrate  (Read 2987 times)

Offline troulla100

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ammonium nitrate
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:22:10 AM »
Hello! I am trying to design an experiment on UV/Visible spectrometer in order to determine the purity of ammonium nitrate for samples contain that compound. And any limitations of the method. What experiment can I use about that?
Could you please help me with that? Thank you!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: UV/Visible spectrometer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:28:58 PM »
OK, let's try.  What is it about ammonium nitrate that you can use a UV-Vis to analyze it?  What impurities do you expect, and how can they be detected by UV-Vis? 

These are the sorts of question you should search for an answer to.  You are required to do some work on this board.  That's in the Forum Rules{click}

Offhand, I wouldn't use a UV-Vis for this analysis.  So I can only wonder why you want to start from the end and work to the middle, in this case.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline troulla100

Re: UV/Visible spectrometer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:15:37 AM »
Thank you.
I am thinking about using DSC as well but I have to design an experiment with UV/Visible spectrometer that's why I am looking for that. I am thinking of impurities like sodium bicarbonate. And that maybe in the UV-Vis can be detected because they will have a different peak. I am struggling about how to design the experiment.
Thank you

Offline troulla100

Ammonium nitrate
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:34:46 AM »
What method can we use to find the purity of ammonium nitrate?

IR, DSC, Mass Spectroscopy, Formaldehyde method?
Which one is the best for it?

Thank you

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
Re: Ammonium nitrate
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 10:17:43 AM »
Alright, I've merged your previous question with this new one, so now we can talk about everything you know, and figure out how to solve this problem for you.

You've been here a while, but I reminded you to read the forum rules above. You agreed to them when you signed up, so they do apply to you.  You have to show us some work ... what you know, and ask questions about what you don't.

IR, DSC, Mass Spectroscopy, Formaldehyde method?

There's a list.  What does each one mean?  How does each one work?  Do you understand them, or did you just pull a list?  That sort of thing needs to be addressed, by you, for us.

Interesting choice, ammonium nitrate. AFAIK, it has three main uses: cold packs, hydroponics, and explosives.  Our rules make it clear, we have no problem having scholarly discussions about energetic compounds, but really, why this one?  Was that the assigned molecule?  Just a cute choice?  You need to make the best ANFO fast? What?

Offline troulla100

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
Thank you for the reply.
I know in detail what each method does. But I am not sure which one is the best as some of them have some limitations with the phase of the solvent etc. The assigned molecule was that or even compound that have ammonium nitrate in it from were the purity can be found. Help please!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 05:39:48 PM »
OK.  What does the formaldehyde test do? How is it done?  What does it test for?

I can Google for that answer, and so can you.  I'll be closer to if its useful or not, and so can you be.

IR, DSC, those stand for what?  Again, do you understand these.  At least enough to define them?

You said UV-Vis.  Why?  Because you have access to one?

Check out this problem of mine.  I have table sugar -- sucrose, and it may or may not be contaminated with table salt, sodium chloride.  So I made a solution in water, of each salt, sugar and the mixture, and all solutions are visibly clear.  What went wrong with my test?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:22:54 AM by Arkcon »

Sponsored Links