March 28, 2024, 08:52:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Second Unknown  (Read 3395 times)

Offline mbrewster

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Second Unknown
« on: April 23, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »
Hello everyone,

Here are the results for my second unknown. I think that this is some form of catechol. Again, I have a couple guesses as to what they could be. The 2 small peaks on the 1H NMR indicate OH to me and the large singlet indicates a benzene ring. But could there possibly be a halogen on this? I looked over the Carbon NMR, and there is a carbon bonded to something in the group between 50-100.  Again, I have attached images of my spectra to this post.

I apologize for posting more than once, I simply could not fit all the images into one post.  Again, I greatly appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

Offline mbrewster

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Second Unknown
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
Really? I am just asking for some help and no one knows anything about Organic Spec? I've been working on this for a long time. I'm thinking it's benzyl alcohol, but I just wanted some help.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:35:02 PM »
In the carbon NMR, the peak between 70 and 80 ppm could be CDCl3.  If you zoom in on it, is it three peaks?

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:40:21 AM »
The 1H spectrum is horrible - it looks like maybe it didn't shim properly. Was there a lot of solid suspension when you ran the sample? Typically an nmr sample should be homogeneous, and any solids floating around tend to mess this up. If that's the case, I'd re-run the spectrum in DMSO and see if you can see any more detail.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »
Why would -OH give you two peaks?  What integral would you expect?

Sponsored Links