March 28, 2024, 05:19:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acids and Bases  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Lanthanide17

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acids and Bases
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:44:58 AM »
Okay, so I've been reading on organic acids and bases and I've been a bit confused about some stuff. Most inorganic acids are easy to understand as they dissociate to produce OH- and H+ ions. However, my problem is with organic acids and ammonia/amines. According to what I've read, carboxylic acids are acidic because they dissolve in water to produce H+ ions, making them proton donors, hence acids. Ammonia on the other hand is basic because it accepts H+ ions in solution, making it a proton acceptor and hence a base.
1)My first question is, how is it possible for water molecules to break up the strong covalent O-H bond in carboxylic acids. Is it because it is polar? And if so, why doesn't the same thing happen with the N-H bond in the case of Ammonia.
2)If Nitrogen can be basic by donating a lone pair to H+ ions why can't the Oxygen in the O-H bond in carboxylic acids do the same?
  :-\

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Acids and Bases
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »
2)If Nitrogen can be basic by donating a lone pair to H+ ions why can't the Oxygen in the O-H bond in carboxylic acids do the same?
It does the same, and H3O+ is formed.
AWK

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Acids and Bases
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
It might be worth pointing out that carboxylic acids are weak acids and that ammonia is a weak base.  In other words, dissociation is far from complete.  When a carboxylic acid does dissociate, what intermolecular forces come into play to stabilize the carboxylate ion?

Sponsored Links