April 19, 2024, 12:39:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The elusive standard molar entropy  (Read 1611 times)

Offline BROe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The elusive standard molar entropy
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:49:26 AM »
I'm currently planning to run my first esterification reaction, Citric acid to Trimethyl citrate using methanol and 35%H2SO4 as a catalyst. Though I know I don't really need it, I wanted to see if I could find the equilibrium constant for the reaction as a sort of mental exercise.

The equation I'm using is one I dug up from my old Chemistry data booklet Ke = e(ΔH - TΔS)/(-RT)
Where K is the equilibrium constant, H is the enthalpy of reaction in KJ/mol, S is the entropy of reaction in KJ/mol, T is temp. in Kelvin, and R is the gas constant 8.31.

I was able to find all the values I needed pretty easily as most of them were either available online or could be easily calculated. However, I have yet to find a value for the standard molar entropy for trimethyl citrate. I haven't found its value on any online tables I've looked at nor have I been able to find a way to calculate it using the data I have access to. If there are any pointers or sources anybody would like to share I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links