April 25, 2024, 06:39:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Singlet Oxygen from NaClO/H2O2 system  (Read 3568 times)

Offline STM

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Singlet Oxygen from NaClO/H2O2 system
« on: May 09, 2016, 05:30:26 AM »
Hello everyone.

Please I need some insight on generation of singlet Oxygen from NaClO/H2O2 system. In my literature check, the procedure from a particular author said NaOCl was dissolved in 1 mM of H2O2 to make 10 mM solution and stirring for 20 min. Then this Singlet oxygen solution is then introduced into the reaction medium where it is needed?

My question is that is the singlet oxygen now resident and stable in the said solution considering that it has a short half-life of microseconds?

Please I need clarification on how this system (NaClO/H2O2 )works to generate singlet oxygen quantitatively.

Thank you

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Singlet Oxygen from NaClO/H2O2 system
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:41:33 PM »
I think you need to provide more information on your source. Who is the "particular author" and where was this said?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline STM

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »
@Corribus:

Thank you for your response. The information is on page S11 of this file: http://www.rsc.org/suppdata/cc/c3/c3cc44627a/c3cc44627a.pdf.

Thank you.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »
I can't access the primary article but it appears the authors are trying to oxidize a chromophore using in situ generated singlet oxygen from hydrogen peroxide.
The half-life of singlet oxygen is short, on the order of a few microseconds, but the diffusion time is also on the same timescale. Assuming singlet oxygen is still being generated when your oxidant solution is being added to the chromophore solution, I don't see why this procedure couldn't work. The singlet oxygen isn't stable of course but it would last long enough to cause some chemistry provided it was added while the generation reaction was still ongoing.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links