Offline moze

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Raoult's law
« on: May 22, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/XdgdXbF.png?1
Not sure about quite a few bits of this question... here's what I've got so far

i) nothing :(

ii) Ideal solution - molecules must be similar in size & shape, molecules must be similar in chemical nature so that they have similar intermolecular forces

iii) Ptotal = Pa + Pb  where Pa = xa*Pa*   (Pa* pure component vapour pressure, xa mole fraction, Pa partial vapour pressure of a)

iv) Use some form of Clapeyron equation? dH / TdV = dP / dT ? (I'm sure this would be do-able if I could answer the earlier parts.. maybe)

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Raoult's law
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:57:33 AM »
Heard of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: Raoult's law
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
i) mjc123 already gave you the hint for this.

ii) Seems correct to me. I quite like the fact that you mentioned the shape, as, even with comparable (with the ones in the pure solute/solvent) interaction between the solute and the solvent, the shape might cause even drastic changes in packing and induce reorganization (thus, no ideality).

iii) Sounds good. You could also mention that Raoult's law allows you to write an alternative (and more operative, if you want) definition of ideal solution. An ideal solution is one that follows Raoult's law in the whole concentration range (so from xA 0 to 1).

iv) What is the ideal mixing enthalpy? And the ideal mixing entropy?
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Sponsored Links