April 19, 2024, 11:01:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dried up gasoline spill. Should I be worried?  (Read 3659 times)

onepunchmanx

Dried up gasoline spill. Should I be worried?
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:56:31 PM »
I have OCD about contamination from chemicals and about 5 months ago, my friend spilled gasoline on his shoes while filling up gas in a gas tank. He stepped into my car and got gasoline all over my carpet and some other areas in my car. I didn't clean it up or anything, I just left the windows open to air it out for a few days. This was 5 months ago. The gasoline smell is gone now and the liquid already dried up, but now I'm always paranoid while I drive my car because I avoid touching the spots where the gasoline spilled. Should I be worried that I didn't clean up the spill? I mean, the smell is not there anymore. But its just the leftover gasoline residue that dried up. It worries me because my OCD makes me start thinking what if I touch the spot where gas spilled, even if its dried up and the smell is no longer there, what if I touch that spot and get the residue on my hands and then I eat a hamburger or fries without washing my hands. Could it be harmful? Could the dried up gasoline spill be harmful in any way if I touch it with my hands? I don’t know whether I should even be worried.  I don’t know whether this is a real rational fear or an irrational fear as a result of my OCD. Hopefully someone can offer me some insight.

If the gasoline already dried up, would that mean that the toxic chemicals from the gasoline is no longer active?

Also, is dried up gasoline easy to wash off if you were to touch it with your hands?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Dried up gasoline spill. Should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:34:35 AM »
I don't think you have anything to worry about, but if it's bothering you, clean you car.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
Re: Dried up gasoline spill. Should I be worried?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
I drive race cars as a hobby and we spill gas all the time. It's highly volatile and evaporates quickly. It's probably all evaporated and fine.

But like Dan said, if it's bothering you clean your car.
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Sponsored Links