April 24, 2024, 03:17:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Kinetics  (Read 2172 times)

Offline PFScience

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Kinetics
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:48:49 PM »
This has always been a weaker area for me that I am now trying to rectify..

Having read around opinions on the web, would it be fair to say that to get a proper grasp on the subject you need to study the following in order:

1) Differential calculus
2) Integral calculus
3) Differential equations

1) is OK for me although could do with a bit of polish but 2) and 3) have never been studied!

Online Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Kinetics
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
Differential equations is really essential knowledge here, at least if you want to understand how rate laws are derived. I don't think you necessarily need an entire course on the subject, though. Most physical chemistry books include a basic treatment of the subject, so unless you intend to study chemical kinetics in graduate school and beyond, what you get in a standard Pchem class will probably be sufficient to do OK at the undergraduate level in my opinion.

(Basic integral calculus on the other hand you really need to know backwards and forwards for physical chemistry. It really comes into play everywhere.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline PFScience

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Kinetics
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
Cheers - much appreciated advice. Best I start cracking on with my integrals then!

:)

Sponsored Links