April 19, 2024, 12:17:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Flow Injector Analysis vs HPLC-without column  (Read 1588 times)

Offline STM

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Flow Injector Analysis vs HPLC-without column
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »
Dear all,

I need suggestions on the appropriate name to call a set-up that I used in my experiment. It consists of an eluent reservoir, a pump, an injector with sample loop, a fluorescence detector and a printer.  Basically, it is a typical HPLC set-up but without a column.

In my experiment, I conducted the reaction in amber glass bottles and then inject aliquot from the reaction mixture into the said set-up.

I know I cant call it an HPLC since the column majorly responsible for the chromatographic separation is not there. I once called it a Flow Injector Analysis (FIA) and someone argued that it isn't an FIA because in typical FIA, the reaction is conducted in the reaction coil which is part of the FIA assembly.

Hence, I am not sure if my set-up fit into an FIA or there is another appropriate name for such set-up.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Flow Injector Analysis vs HPLC-without column
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:27:26 AM »
We tend to call such a setup something simpler, like "flow through, no column".  Its a common thing to do, particularly with a mass spec detector.  You could also call it, IMHO, a Flow Injector Analysis even though there's no reaction in the injector coil.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links