March 28, 2024, 05:28:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: diastereoisomers  (Read 1412 times)

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
diastereoisomers
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »
If I have E and Z alkene, can i say that those molecules are diastereiomers?
those two are isomers, with same connections between atoms (=stereisomers) but are not mirror images of each other.
I got into discussion with my friend and she says that its only used for opticaly active molecules which E and Z isomers are not.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: diastereoisomers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
I have seen one classification which divides diastereomers into two subclasses, configurational diastereomers (example:  L-threonine and L-allo-threonine) and cis-trans diastereomers.  However, I am not sure whether or not this classification is universal.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »
According to the IUPAC definition E/Z isomers are diastereomers:

http://goldbook.iupac.org/D01679.html

But in reality, very few people refer to them as such

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:00:20 PM »
Yes, thats what I thought. Ok I have one more question about stereochemistry, its not about diastereoisomers but I dont see poin in making new topic:
Can anyone explain the quasiracemate method of determining configuration of compound? From what I understand:
I have unknown compound A and both enantiomers of compound B. Then I "mix them together" and measure melting points seeing that
A+(R)B gave me single minimum in melting point vs composition while A+(S)B gave me two minima and one maximum. From that I can see that A+(S)B makes the quasiracemic mixture and therefore have opposite configurations ie. A has configuration R?

Sponsored Links