April 25, 2024, 08:00:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Exercise about mixture  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Kromede

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Exercise about mixture
« on: May 29, 2016, 11:34:45 AM »
I solved this exercise but I doubt something is wrong...  ??? There is no result at the end of it.

"A volume of 4.60 lt SPT of a mixture composed of NO2 and Cl2 react with the following reaction:

NO2 + Cl2  :rarrow: NO2Cl

We know that NO2 is the limiting reagent. The final volume of all the gas is 4.14 lt SPT. Please calculate the starting composition of the mixture".

First of all, I balanced the reaction: 2NO2 + Cl2  :rarrow: 2NO2Cl

Than I wrote: V(mixture) = V(NO2) + V(Cl2)

V(final) = final V(NO2) + final V(Cl2) + final V(NO2Cl) (at the end)

So I called the final V(NO2) = x - 2 (2 lt is the volume it should lose after the reaction because of the coefficients) and then I called the final V(Cl2) = y - 1 (2 lt is the volume it should lose after the reaction because of the coefficients).

So now I have a linear system with two equations:

x + y = 4.60

and

x - 2 + y - 1 + x = 4.14

I solved it and I found that V(NO2)= 2.54 lt and V(Cl2)= 2.06 lt so the composition of the starting mixture is:

55.2% of NO2 and 44,8 % of Cl2.

I'm really not sure of what I did... especially because of the fact that I didn't use the SPT information about the volumes.

Sorry for my english which is not perfect  ;D

Thanks!!!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Exercise about mixture
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »
So I called the final V(NO2) = x - 2 (2 lt is the volume it should lose after the reaction because of the coefficients)

Idea of using x, y and writing set of equations is definitely one of the correct approaches to the problem, but no, it is not that 2 liters of the gas reacted.

Assume x (initial NO2), y (initial Cl2) and z (final NO2Cl) to be your unknowns. You have the first equation already. The second is the one describing the final mixture - however, you need to represent amount of NO2 and Cl2 in the final mixture using x, y and z. And you also know that all NO2 reacted, so it is easy to write the third equation, combining initial amount of NO2 and the final amount of NO2Cl (just use the stoichiometry).

I'm really not sure of what I did... especially because of the fact that I didn't use the SPT information about the volumes.

STP doesn't matter, all that matters is the assumption the ratio of volumes is identical to the ratio of number of moles. This is so called Avogadro's hypothesis.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Kromede

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
Hi, thanks for your answer. I kept an eye on the problem more accurately and I wrote:

x (initial NO2), y (initial Cl2) and z (final NO2Cl)

But z = x if we see the reaction's stoichiometry and we remember that NO2 is the limiting reagent. So I can write the system made by the two equations:

x + y = 4.6

and now the volume of the final mixture is the sum of x and (y - 1/2*x) because the volume of Cl2 I'm considering at the end is a remaining part.

x + (y - 1/2*x) = 4.14

Solutions are x=3.68 lt and y=0.92 lt. In conclusion % NO2 = 20% and % Cl2 = 80%

What do you think about that?

P.S: I accidentally sent another message below but I don't know how to delete it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 02:29:34 AM »
I haven't checked numbers, but the logic looks sound.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links