April 25, 2024, 04:14:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help Calculating W/W on Store bought Product  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Jman

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help Calculating W/W on Store bought Product
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:54:43 AM »
I'm a bit confused about calculating the W/W % of Hydrochloric acid. On the 1L bottle it says 280mlHCL. Does this mean its 28% or higher W/W?
I'm not sure because of the difference between ml & grams if any. On calculating the W/W it says how many grams is added for the total volume. I'm not sure if 280ml is close to 280grams.

Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Help Calculating W/W on Store bought Product
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:58:04 AM »
280 mL is a volume, not concentration.

You can't calculate the mass without knowing the density, which is a function of concentration. 1 g/mL is probably not far from th ereality, but you can be off by even close to 20% for really concentrated stuff.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Help Calculating W/W on Store bought Product
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:58:48 AM »
280mls of what?  Like Borek: said this makes a difference.  Ok, zo you're reading a label of HCl, so they measured out 280mls of HCl, a gas, and stirred it into some water?  It's silly to assume that would work like I just described.  Now, if you bubble HCl into water, until the water can take no more, that's approx 35%, and that what industry tends to work with.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links