April 26, 2024, 07:30:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Drain cleaner to pure sulfuric acid for copper sulfate crystals  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Theprodigyp

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello, I'm pretty new to learning some chemistry and recently been interested in different kinds of Chrystal formations.  I know I can go online and purchase copper sulfate powder to mix with hot water which will grow crystals but a friend and fellow learner suggested learning to make copper sulfate from sulfuric acid using electro-chemically doing it.  I was wondering how may all of this be done with concentrated sulfuric acid from drain cleaner. I've ran a few tests with no luck. So I need help on the process. I've been watching countless videos in purifying the cleaner with hydrogen peroxide and boiling it off until the sulfuric acid is clear but I am honestly unsure. If anyone could help me with the steps it would take to make the sulfuric acid pure enough so when I place copper into the mix and electro chemically charge it the acid will be blue or pure enough to form crystals and please suggest anything I might need to do all of that. Currently I have glass beakers, copper plates and copper wire, I've got batteries and also a hefty black wall plug which might be used for charging batteries on a dock of some sort, also I have liquid lightning drain cleaner which is virgin sulfuric acid with a buffer. I'm not sure of the percent of sulfuric acid in it which is why I don't know if my other tests worked. The wall plug was recommend because I was told it would be more cost efficient to use in the solution. I do need to purchase a hot plate I assume and some 30% hydrogen peroxide I assume to actually get everything to work properly outside since I do not have a home lab or ventilation system. If there is any more information someone can give me to guide me to make this copper sulfate solution I would really appreciate it. I plan on incorporating crystals into my art work and I've always been interested in chemistry.

Thanks!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Drain cleaner to pure sulfuric acid for copper sulfate crystals
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
Well, I hope you're careful with sulfuric acid drain cleaner, for starters.  So make sure you have a nice nonreactive table, preferably outside in a shed, or detached garage.  Inside the house or basement is less than optimal. 

I don't know about the acid purification process, and I don't know of an easy source of 30% hydrogen peroxide for the home user. 

You have some good instincts -- you can electrolytically react copper with sulfuric acid, and if you start with plain old hardware store acid drain cleaner, you may get some copper sulfate in solution.  The hit will be the copper plate gradually disappearing -- conservation of matter says it must go somewhere.

Purifying the impure copper sulfate would be some work, but that can be fun too.  And maybe a little bit safer.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
Re: Drain cleaner to pure sulfuric acid for copper sulfate crystals
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
If you add H2O2 to your sulfuric acid, it will be contaminated with stabilizers such as sodium phosphate (perhaps Na3PO4), sodium stannate (not sure which one), phenol, organophosphonates, acetanilide,  nitrate, benzoic acid, tetrapotassium diphosphate.

I’m not sure which one your brand of H2O2 contains.
If you need very pure H2SO4, distill it under a slight vacuum.
If purity doesn’t matter, add a little H2O2.

For making CuSO4 with the electrolysis method, there needs to be a decent amount of water in your sulfuric acid. I don’t think it works with 98% H2SO4.

Sponsored Links