April 16, 2024, 01:07:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: (URGENT) esterification  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Rayq

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
(URGENT) esterification
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:29:55 AM »
i am required to obtain a very pure ester. so i carry out synthesis, isolation and the distillation. during distillation, i will be distillating alcohol and ester. in my case, i used 1-butanol and ethanoic acid to produce butyl acetate. butanol has a lower boiling point thus it will condense first. this will contaminate the condenser with butanol and thus the ester that i will obtain will not be pure. can i wash away the butanol using water just like in isolation or is there any other way to obtain a pure ester.

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
Re: (URGENT) esterification
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:50:05 AM »
Boiling points data(From Chemspider):
Butyl acetate 124-126 °C
1-Butanol 117-118 °C
Ethanoic acid 118 °C

Butyl acetate has the highest boiling point among the three chemicals in your mixture. So you can just heat your mixture in the distillation set-up until all 1-butanol and ethanoic acid boils and be separated out from the mixture.
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:51:26 AM »
You can stop the distillation, and switch vessels.  There also exists a type of glassware known as a cow or pig -- basically a receiving flask with mini flasks that you rotate into position at a time point of your choosing.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +320/-22
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:10:29 AM »
 Are you following a standard protocol?  Can you think of a protocol that would remove the ethanoic acid prior to distillation?  Why don't you look up the miscibility of butanol and water? 

Sponsored Links