April 25, 2024, 03:44:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to draw the trans isomer of complexes with two bidentate ligands?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline mystreet123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I want to draw the trans isomer of oxaliplatin(II) complex but I just couldn't do it. Is it impossible for it to have a trans isomer?

Below is the 2D and 3D images of oxaliplatin(II) complex I found online.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:47:42 PM by mystreet123 »

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
Re: Cis trans square planar isomers
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 01:36:19 PM »
Hello mystreet123.

Before we can help you must show your own attempts at answering the question. It's part of our rules you can read about here.

What do you know about cis and trans isomerism? What about a molecule makes it cis or trans?
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Offline mystreet123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Cis trans square planar isomers
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 02:04:44 PM »
Hello mystreet123.

Before we can help you must show your own attempts at answering the question. It's part of our rules you can read about here.

What do you know about cis and trans isomerism? What about a molecule makes it cis or trans?

Now I understand that it is a cis isomer but I just couldn't draw a trans isomer. Is it impossible to have a trans isomer?

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
I think I misread your original question. Or you edited it after I read it.

I don't believe it's possible. Both ligands are perfectly symmetrical. You could flip them around and move them around but the molecule would still look the same.

That said I could be wrong, and someone more knowledgeable than me could say otherwise.
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
mystreet123: please reprint your structural formula for this molecule, and draw a red circle around the chiral center.   I don't see one, and the definition of cis and trans requires one.  And no, it isn't possible to only have cis.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
It's more to do with strain. If the oxalate was larger, say e.g. succinate and two ammonias as ligands then it may be able to chelate around forming both cis and trans isomers. Don't forget this is not tetrahedral, but square planar.

Sponsored Links