March 28, 2024, 06:43:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Green Fire Experiment Question  (Read 4049 times)

Offline TheCheshireCat

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Green Fire Experiment Question
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »
Hi everyone! I was planning on conducting an experiment to create green fire using Borax (sodium tetraborate), with methanol as the fuel. However, I was unable to obtain methanol. Will rubbing alcohol (ethyl alcohol) work just as well, or will the result not be as brilliantly green? Thanks!

Offline orthoformate

• Mole Snacks: +14/-4
Re: Green Fire Experiment Question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
Hi everyone! I was planning on conducting an experiment to create green fire using Borax (sodium tetraborate), with methanol as the fuel. However, I was unable to obtain methanol. Will rubbing alcohol (ethyl alcohol) work just as well, or will the result not be as brilliantly green? Thanks!

According to wikipedia, you need the MeOH flame to get the transparent green. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

You can buy methanol on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/METHANOL-ACS-REAGENT-GRADE-ONE-GALLON-POLY-BOTTLE-/111399308662?hash=item19efea8d76:g:ng8AAOSwwNVTtZDd

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:27:54 AM »
For this purpose you need a volatile trialkyl borate,  hence methyl alcohol works best. Instead methanol you may use methylated (denatured) alcohol. Rubbing alcohol (ethanol or isopropanol) usually contain ~30 % of water (US) and work worser. As catalyst you need a few drops of concentrated H2SO4 (danger! - gogles, latex gloves) or at least battery acid (~30%).
AWK

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
Burning methyborate in darkness (reaction in boiling methanol). Photo without flash.
AWK

Sponsored Links