March 29, 2024, 06:32:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: chemistry math advice  (Read 4735 times)

Offline chocolatepi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
chemistry math advice
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »
Dear all,

I just finished a Chemistry 2 class, and it included exponential rates and decay, simple quadratic formula solving, and chemical rate laws. It used some integrals, and I am trying to find a math class to help. I barely got a B, and want to understand it better cuz I am about to take Biochem and Organic chemistry. I am signed up for Trig and realized it probably won't help me as much. What math classes would help me the most with organic and Biochem? Any suggestions? Thanks, - chocolatepi

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
Re: chemistry math advice
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:22:11 PM »
Algebra, differential equations, and single variable calculus.

I don't know which country you're in, but in the US I think the algebra you want is the Algebra II class that many high schools offer.
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Offline DeanC

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »
Algebra, differential equations, and single variable calculus.

I don't know which country you're in, but in the US I think the algebra you want is the Algebra II class that many high schools offer.

Exactly, check out Khan Academy. They have some great online resources that are very helpful with maths.

Offline jasongnome

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Chemistry teacher.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 04:38:01 AM »
Depending on how far you're going, you may need to be able to work with natural and base 10 logarithms as well as what's already been mentioned. Both come up on the UK A level syllabus (mainly for rate equations, including the Arrhenius constant, and for pH and pKa equations) and I assume it's the same elsewhere.
When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. (Albert Einstein)

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:17:57 PM »
You will definitely need a solid understanding of trigonometry to go on in chemistry. And in addition, this is usually a prerequisite for more advanced math courses you will also find useful, like calculus.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 06:05:04 AM »
Dear all,

I just finished a Chemistry 2 class, and it included exponential rates and decay, simple quadratic formula solving, and chemical rate laws. It used some integrals, and I am trying to find a math class to help. I barely got a B, and want to understand it better cuz I am about to take Biochem and Organic chemistry. I am signed up for Trig and realized it probably won't help me as much. What math classes would help me the most with organic and Biochem? Any suggestions? Thanks, - chocolatepi
For chemistry /organic chemistry and biochemistry you need to be good in algebra

Sponsored Links