April 25, 2024, 06:32:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Auto-Titrator Advice  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
Auto-Titrator Advice
« on: June 09, 2016, 12:02:27 PM »
Hello,

Currently we are using a Hanna 902 Auto-Titrator in our QC department for determining titratable acidity (T.A) and pH of our samples, but it seems to have a problem with the burette part of the instrument where we have had to replace that part several times due to springing a leak which then causes the piston chamber to no longer hold a suction.

I wanted to ask if anyone on here has experience with auto-titrators and might be able to recommend a more reliable model for very frequent usage by our QC technicians.

Thanks for any help,

"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Auto-Titrator Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
I've always used instead the various MetrOhm models.  I don't assume they're inherently better, but in years of use, we've never had to replace so much as an O-ring.  Which is probably the first thing I'd have on hand, if frequent leaks were a problem.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
Re: Auto-Titrator Advice
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »
Thanks Arkcon for your reply. From what my colleagues say, the burette is in an enclosure such that fixing it is not possible, so the whole enclosure needs to be replaced each time it starts leaking and this costs around $1000 each time. I said I would have a look at the part when I had some time, but I think they are at the point where they just want to purchase a different unit altogether. I will pass along your comments about the MetrOhm titrators. Thanks again.
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Sponsored Links