April 26, 2024, 07:09:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: E1 elimination of 2-methylcyclohexanol  (Read 2712 times)

Offline hs764

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
E1 elimination of 2-methylcyclohexanol
« on: June 10, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
I know that for E2 elimination, the cis-trans isomerism of a cyclic molecule matters for the final product because the leaving group and the hydrogen have to be antiperiplanar.  But does that matter for E1 elimination?  Would cis and trans 2-methylcyclohexanol both result in the same mixture of products assuming E1 elimination?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: E1 elimination of 2-methylcyclohexanol
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 05:02:24 AM »
Draw the carbocation intermediates of E1 elimination from cis- and trans-2-methylcyclohexanol. Are these carbocations the same or different? Do you expect them to lead to the same or different products?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline hs764

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 05:36:41 PM »
The carbocations are the same, right?  So they would lead to identical products?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 01:32:36 AM »
The carbocations are the same, right?  So they would lead to identical products?

Yes
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 07:52:43 AM »

Identical? I'm inclined to say similar, but maybe not identical. If the question were, "Do cis and trans-2-methylcyclohexanol have the same kinetics for the rate determining step?", then I think we should expect them to differ. I did a Google search (the poor man’s CAS search), and the nearest I could find was, http://www.markedbyteachers.com/as-and-a-level/maths/dehydration-and-gas-chromatography-of-methylcyclohexanols.html. That isn't a real reference, but it suggests they will differ.

I've hinted at why they may differ by considering the kinetics of the reaction (or activation energy), but I think the formation of the carbocation will be influenced by the groups and stereochemistry nearby. If the carbocation was long-lived, then I'd expect the same products (probably from the tertiary carbocation), but otherwise maybe not. I also searched for the dehydration of the isomers of menthol which could give a single racemic mixture, but I couldn't find anything. Perhaps someone could correct my speculation by posting some real data.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links