April 26, 2024, 09:19:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Modes confusion?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline saippo

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Modes confusion?
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »
I was confused about the number of modes that diatomic molecules have. I read somewhere that there are 5 because there's 3 translational and 2 "tumbling" (I'm assuming vibrations + rotations). However, in another textbook I read that the number of modes were like solids where there were 2 vibration and rotation for each x, y, z coordinate but one drops in diatomic (could someone could explain this as well?)
Would really appreciate the clarification!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Modes confusion?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
In general there are 3N degrees of freedom. Three of these always correspond to linear translations in the three possible cardinal directions. Three of them are reserved for rotations and the remainder are vibrational modes. For all linear molecules, there is one less rotational degree of freedom because there is no rotation around the molecular axis.

A diatomic molecule has six degrees of freedom (3x2 = 6).  Three of these correspond to translation in x, y, and z direction. Two of them are rotational modes (rotation around the two possible axes perpendicular to each other and to the molecular axis). The last one is a vibration, along the molecular axis.

A triatomic molecule has 9 degrees of freedom. 3 translational and either 2 or 3 rotational (for linear and nonlinear, respectively) and either 4 or 3 (for linear and nonlinear, respectively) vibrational modes.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Modes confusion?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »
The difference relates with the excited modes versus the possible modes.

2 "tumbling" modes can only be the rotations. 3 translations and 2 rotations for a diatomic gas molecule means that this author has neglected the vibration mode. This is correct for N2, H2, O2... at room temperature, because the vibration energy levels for these molecules are too separated, so the ambient heat doesn't excite them, and the molecule stays in its ground state. Gaseous Br2, as opposed, vibrates more easily, so its mode is largely excited and stores heat too.

At heat, stiff modes gets excites too. Cl2 is an intermediate case, with its vibration little excited at room temperature but much at heat.

Notice that each well-excited vibration mode stores R per mole, while translations and rotations store only R/2.

Sponsored Links