March 28, 2024, 06:57:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrogen Peroxide added to water.  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Growlove21

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hydrogen Peroxide added to water.
« on: June 21, 2016, 01:52:16 AM »
Obviously hydrogen peroxide (unstable) added to untreated creek water will immediately create a reaction creating h2o and o2. My question is, after this reaction, does the o2 get "significantly" absorbed into the water aka become oxygenated water or does it leave the water too fast for any significant absorption to occur?

What raised this question was a discussion about fish tank air stones. Being more oxygen is absorbed into the water from the surface tension break of the bubbles rather than the bubbles being pumped into the water.

Thank you, any articles or studies would be appreciated!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide added to water.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:06:09 AM »
My question is, after this reaction, does the o2 get "significantly" absorbed into the water aka become oxygenated water or does it leave the water too fast for any significant absorption to occur?
Solubility of oxygen in water is limited and since this is two phase process you cannot reach equilibrium. Constant bubbling air gives you a higher concentration of soluble oxygen.
AWK

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:05:13 AM »
Just like for the solid state in a liquid, the smaller the solid particles the more soluble. In crystal growth smaller solid particles will dissolve and associate with a larger particle if it has time to be transported creating a large single crystal. Called Ostwalds ripening. It could be the same in this case the smaller the bubble the more likely it will dissolve but i only have experience in the solid state.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »
Just like for the solid state in a liquid, the smaller the solid particles the more soluble. In crystal growth smaller solid particles will dissolve and associate with a larger particle if it has time to be transported creating a large single crystal. Called Ostwalds ripening. It could be the same in this case the smaller the bubble the more likely it will dissolve but i only have experience in the solid state.

Perhaps then, this response isn't pertinent to the discussion at hand, then.  Unless you maybe search for a reference.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »
If the decomposition of H2O2 happens slow enough relative to the rate of diffusion of O2 or the stirring of the system then you should be able to avoid localized oversaturation of O2. Also with enough excess H2O2 then the reaction should go on for long enough for every nook and cranny to approach saturation.

Sponsored Links