April 19, 2024, 09:12:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mole calculations and Titrations  (Read 6884 times)

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +18/-0
    • Rhyming Chemist
Re: Mole calculations and Titrations
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 04:51:42 PM »
Look again at the first question and see if you can find any information that conflicts with your suggestion

Offline Sush_eera

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 05:41:21 PM »
Look again at the first question and see if you can find any information that conflicts with your suggestion
Is there something wrong in what I said? Cus i couldnt figure out where i went wrong

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
    • Rhyming Chemist
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »
You need to go backwards. You use the information from step 3 to figure out how much excess sulfuric acid reacted with the sodium hydroxide. From that you work out how much ethanoic acid reacted with the sulfuric acid in step 2 and from that you work out what proportion of the 10g of powder in step 1 consisted of sodium ethanoate. My impression is that you were thinking that all of the 10g in step 1 was sodium ethanoate.

Offline Sush_eera

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 06:04:43 PM »
You need to go backwards. You use the information from step 3 to figure out how much excess sulfuric acid reacted with the sodium hydroxide. From that you work out how much ethanoic acid reacted with the sulfuric acid in step 2 and from that you work out what proportion of the 10g of powder in step 1 consisted of sodium ethanoate. My impression is that you were thinking that all of the 10g in step 1 was sodium ethanoate.
But why would H2SO4 react with NaOH.. i though it would only react with ethanoic acid from the reaction i used before

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 02:48:20 AM »
But why would H2SO4 react with NaOH.

Because that's the way these substances behave. Whenever you have strong acid and strong base you can be sure they will react. When there is a mixture strongest bases/acids react first.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
    • Rhyming Chemist
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 04:01:14 AM »
But why would H2SO4 react with NaOH.

Because that's the way these substances behave. Whenever you have strong acid and strong base you can be sure they will react. When there is a mixture strongest bases/acids react first.

This is interesting. I was starting to think that my suggestions were flawed. We use the sulfuric acid to turn the sodium ethanoate into ethanoic acid, then we titrate whatever sulfuric acid is left over against the sodium hydroxide, which tells us how much sulfuric acid was left over and hence how much sodium ethanoate there was to start with. But suddenly I realised that if the whole reaction mixture is titrated against the sodium hydroxide, it will neutralise first the sulfuric acid and then the ethanoic acid. In effect, it will neutralise all the protons that were originally associated with the sulfuric acid. This feels like a problem.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 06:52:48 AM »
IMHO this is a poor question - ethanoic acid is way too strong for this kind of approach (at least in water solution). While sometimes choice of an indicator makes it possible to separately titrate two acids in one sample, I am not convinced it is possible here.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
    • Rhyming Chemist
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 08:16:21 AM »
I'm glad you agree. Presumably whoever wrote it is expecting us to pretend that the ethanoic acid does not interfere with the titration of excess sulfuric acid against sodium hydroxide, as unrealistic as that might be.

Sponsored Links