March 29, 2024, 11:27:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Increasing flash point of oil water mixture  (Read 3659 times)

Offline chymbo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Increasing flash point of oil water mixture
« on: June 30, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
Hi, i'm new to this forum.  Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me with this question!

I have an essential oil water mixture.  It's about 10% essential oil, 10% emulsifier (polysorbate 20), and then 80% water.  The flash point right now is about 155 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm hoping to get the flash point above 200 degrees Fahrenheit.  Is there anyway for me to increase the flash point without dramatically changing the formula of my oil water mixture?

Thanks again for the *delete me*

Evan

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
Re: Increasing flash point of oil water mixture
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »
This seems difficult to do, maybe impossible. Much of your essential oil will boil before 200F.

However is the flash point really a problem? There seems to be plenty of water present. While the vapors from the oil may combust above 155 degrees this combustion will not easily lead to a sustained flame given all the water. It should just pop.
I am not at all an expert on combustion but my intuition is that the fire point if it exists at all would have to be very close to the boiling point of the oil. If the fire point is somehow a problem then the easiest thing to do would be to find an emulsifier you can use less of.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Increasing flash point of oil water mixture
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
Maybe you want to keep the odour strength of the essential oil? Then decreasing the vapour pressure to avoid flames will also reduce the scent.

I just wonder if a different emulsifier could possibly retain the essential oil better. Something like a tighter cap around the oil. But if the scent is wanted, no solution.

Sponsored Links