April 26, 2024, 09:10:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cyclopentadiene from 4 carbon compound  (Read 2530 times)

Offline lemonbalm7

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cyclopentadiene from 4 carbon compound
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:30:40 AM »
What would be the most streamlined method for creating cyclopentadiene starting with a 4 carbon compound?  I have most of my retro synthesis completed, but want the best method for this.  I know typically cyclopentadiene is isolated from naptha, but what would be the best alternative? Thanks!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Cyclopentadiene from 4 carbon compound
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
Would you show us what you have, so far?

Offline orthoformate

• Mole Snacks: +14/-4
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
What would be the most streamlined method for creating cyclopentadiene starting with a 4 carbon compound?  I have most of my retro synthesis completed, but want the best method for this.  I know typically cyclopentadiene is isolated from naptha, but what would be the best alternative? Thanks!

When you say best, what do you mean? There are many things to consider:

1. Cost of materials
2. Length of synthesis (Steps to reach product)
3. Safety of synthesis
4. Overall yield of synthesis
5. Length of time it takes to complete synthesis (one day vs. one month)

Together we could come up with something that can be done in one step, but it may be expensive and dangerous.

Offline lemonbalm7

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »
Would you show us what you have, so far?

It's a retro synthesis of a much larger compound. The final step is determining a theoretical method of how cyclopentadiene would be produced from a compound of no more than 4 carbons.  I have nothing for this yet. I've considered synthesizing cyclopentane and then thermal dehydrogenation, but I am sure there are probably better methods or at least other options.

When you say best, what do you mean? There are many things to consider:

1. Cost of materials
2. Length of synthesis (Steps to reach product)
3. Safety of synthesis
4. Overall yield of synthesis
5. Length of time it takes to complete synthesis (one day vs. one month)

Together we could come up with something that can be done in one step, but it may be expensive and dangerous.

It's a theoretical experiment which will never occur, so I would probably focus on length of synthesis, overall yield, and length of time.  It's a retro synthesis for a drug that contains adamantane, so I suppose it should be a method a pharmaceutical company would use if they had to create adamantane with a 4 carbon compound starting material.

Thank you, again!  :)

Offline orthoformate

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:26:01 PM »
If it's just a classroom exercise, I would answer with this:

cis-butadiene + methylene bromide  :rarrow: cyclopentadiene

you could theoretically create cyclopentadiene via Pd catalyzed heck coupling to both terminal olefins. This method would generate impurities (low yield), but it is one step, and it fits the instructors criteria.

Offline lemonbalm7

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:29:55 PM »
I also have to include the mechanism involved and reagents used.  I'm still in the beginning phases of learning and have a lot more chapters to cover this semester (mini summer), but I wanted to work on my retro synthesis early. I will look into the Heck coupling reaction but would prefer a higher yield method.

Also, if you don't want to do my homework for me, even just a hint in the right direction would help a lot.

I really appreciate your assistance.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:39:58 PM by lemonbalm7 »

Offline orthoformate

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:38 PM »
I think if you look into Heck couplings & Suzuki couplings you will see what I'm getting at.

Sponsored Links