March 28, 2024, 04:17:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Okay to call surfactants "detergent?"  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Rocky143

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Okay to call surfactants "detergent?"
« on: July 23, 2016, 02:32:52 PM »
I m writing a discussion of the ingredients of cleansers like shampoo, body wash, hand soap, etc for consumers who have no knowledge of chemistry or science for that matter.

When I encounter a surfactant as an ingredient, I have been calling it "detergent" because people know what a detergent is and I prefer not to explain what a surfactant is.

Is it wrong to call surfactants detergents? My sources on these surfactants often say that their purpose is "cleansing."

Thanks for your comments.

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
Re: Okay to call surfactants "detergent?"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »
My impression is that a detergent is just a surfactant with a particular purpose in mind. Of course the very same surfactant could be used as a foaming agent as well, even in the same product.

However I wouldn't call a sodium or potassium fatty acid a detergent but only because they are just familiar soap and referring to them as a generic detergent might confuse.

Many dictionary definitions seem to emphasize that detergents are not soaps. I suppose in the popular conception detergent suggests something that is 'stronger' and possibly 'harsher'. I am skeptical of this. The most natural thing to me is just that soap is a subcategory of traditional detergents.

Anyways, I think that 'cleanser' might be the superior word to use.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Okay to call surfactants "detergent?"
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:20:21 PM »
Surfactants are compounds that lower the surface tension (ie pure compound).
A detergent is a surfactant or a mixture of surfactants (and other additives) with cleaning properties in dilute solutions (usually sold as concentrated solutions or powders).
AWK

Sponsored Links