April 25, 2024, 12:46:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does Ammonium Chloride Degrade?  (Read 3784 times)

Offline BigJohnny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Does Ammonium Chloride Degrade?
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:27:09 AM »
Hello all, it's been about 9 years since I was last around on this forum, and back then I was trying to make an ammonium chloride solution for the purposes of starting the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium.

That old thread is located here
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=18242.15

I did end up making this solution, and it has been stored in a plastic bottle for the last 9 years. I remember when I made it there were some kind of white flakes floating around in it, but the problem is I can't find any of my notes from when I made it, regarding how much of the powder I added to what quantity of water.

best I could find in my old thread and another based on an aquarium forum, the solution I made would bring 50 gallons of water up to 5ppm ammonia with only 0.5ml of my solution (it might be 2.5ml, I have to re-read the threads)

I'll be starting a brand new 75 gallon tank soon and will need to kickstart the nitrogen cycle.

Is this ammonium chloride solution I made still safe to use 9 years later?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Does Ammonium Chloride Degrade?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
Is this ammonium chloride solution I made still safe to use 9 years later?

Technically there is not much that could change in the solution - ammonium chloride doesn't decompose. The only thing I can think of that could be a source of problems is the plastic bottle. Some plastics can decompose and decomposition products can be nasty.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline BigJohnny

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:37:52 PM »
It was stored in a used but cleaned aquarium water conditioner bottle, so hopefully it shouldn't have leeched anything.

Is there anyway to test the strength of this stuff?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
Most additives to plastics are not very water soluble, but its still possible some of those migrated to your solution, regardless of how the polymer was stored. As for polymer decomposition, it depends to some degree on what polymer it is, but if the bottles were stored in the dark at reasonably low temperatures, polymer decomposition will be minimal. On the other hand if the bottle has been stored in direct sunlight or something, then all bets are off.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »
Is there anyway to test the strength of this stuff?

Many.

But it is probably much cheaper to prepare it anew.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline BigJohnny

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »
It actually was stored in a dark storage room, in a rubbermaid container. Not sure of the temperature but it's not generally too far above room temp.

I would prepare a new solution, but I have no idea where to buy ammonium chloride. I got it from ebay the last time and the guy who I got it from was apparently somewhat of a scammer who often didn't ship out packages or respond to people.... he then got banned for conducting illegal chemical sales without being properly registered or licensed to do so, not shipping stuff in proper containers and not including any of the proper labels or documentation.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 09:13:39 AM »
Searching "ammonium chloride powder" on Amazon turns up a number of purchasing options.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links