April 25, 2024, 08:26:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question on acidifying a fungus culture  (Read 3233 times)

Offline TheBeesFamily

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question on acidifying a fungus culture
« on: August 04, 2016, 05:48:10 AM »
       Im preforming a synthesis following steps from an old book, and I need to acidify my ripe culture samples. Usually this is fine and simple, but it just says " next acidify the fungus culture with tartaric acid" and I'm not sure how acidic to make it. What confuses me is that it clearly states that after it is acidified, it is homogenized and Ammonium Hydroxide is added until a pH of 9 is achieved. So its specific on how basic but not how acidic.
       Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Question on acidifying a fungus culture
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 01:47:16 AM »
Your part of chemical question was typical for isolation of alkaloids. Acidification, (filtration),alkalization, (extraction with organic solvent). In the case of fungi culture this may be ergot alkaloids (most probable) or antibiotic extraction.
Ergotamine, which isolation procedure you probably described, is used as very valuable vasoconstrictor used in the control of migraines (outstandingly valuable and still used under rectricted control) and Parkinson's disease but is also illegal psychodelic drug.

Now, acidifying without details means simply control pH by universal indicator paper, in old books - litmus was used for the same purpose.
AWK

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 12:08:44 AM »
Market is full of Shiitake extracts (the magical shiitake, holy shiitake, and so on). They mainly help peoples to grow nice kidney stones (eritadenine).
AWK

Offline TheBeesFamily

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 01:47:01 AM »
And how- chemically, is the shiitake mushroom a major organic contribution to cardiovascular health?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:38:00 AM »
Nice story - much money!
AWK

Sponsored Links