March 28, 2024, 10:23:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: water sanitation  (Read 2232 times)

Offline vv

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
water sanitation
« on: August 09, 2016, 02:48:19 AM »
Hello,

I am not a chemist and I need some piece of advice.
I want to reduce the microbiological load on slaughtered poultry.
I spray this mixture on the chicken:

potable water that already contains a disinfectant based on active chlorine 13,6% (it's a solution of sodium hypochlorite 5-15% and sodium hydroxide <1%).

and in this water I add chlorine dioxide pill to reduce some microorganisms on the chicken.

can anyone tell me the chemical reactions that take place in this mixture?

Because i have device that measures free chlorine
and when i add chlorine dioxide to my chlorinated water, free chlorine measures 4 times more than before, which later drops down to 2 times more than before the next day.. can someone explain?

thank you

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: water sanitation
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:54:07 AM »

OK, but, why?  If you're not a chemist, why do you need the reactions, simple or complex, in chemical shorthand that you may or may not understand?  What I'm asking is -- What's the real question?

Because i have device that measures free chlorine and when i add chlorine dioxide to my chlorinated water, free chlorine measures 4 times more than before, which later drops down to 2 times more than before the next day.. can someone explain?

There are a number of explanations.  Again, why, and what's the real question?
[/quote]
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
Re: water sanitation
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:35:24 PM »
and in this water I add chlorine dioxide pill to reduce some microorganisms on the chicken.

If you want to know the 'reaction' that happens between chlorine and microorganisms that results in the death of microorganisms, all I know is that it involves chlorine oxygen radicals produced from decomposition of hypochlorite which are very reactive and can destroy celluar structures(e.g. cell membrane) of microorganisms.

Because i have device that measures free chlorine
and when i add chlorine dioxide to my chlorinated water, free chlorine measures 4 times more than before, which later drops down to 2 times more than before the next day.. can someone explain?

Why do you add chlorine dioxide(ClO2) to chlorinated water?
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Sponsored Links