March 29, 2024, 02:55:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Liquids that undergo retro-Diels-Alder  (Read 1842 times)

Offline FRK

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Liquids that undergo retro-Diels-Alder
« on: August 10, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »
Does anybody know off the top of their head of any compounds that are liquid at room temperature that undergo retro-Diels-Alder at <250 C?  Dicyclopentadiene is one that's commercially available that I know of.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Liquids that undergo retro-Diels-Alder
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:20:13 AM »
I was searching the department for things of this nature a few weeks ago, and it seems to be the go to if you can find it. I'd check the inorganic labs for things like cyclooctadiene (COD), or cyclooctatetraene (COT) which are common starting materials.  Also things like azamethine ylides...

Offline NewmanProj

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:41:26 PM »
Does anybody know off the top of their head of any compounds that are liquid at room temperature that undergo retro-Diels-Alder at <250 C?  Dicyclopentadiene is one that's commercially available that I know of.

I remember as a postdoc having to trap a benzyne with furan (aromatic). The compound formed could be picked up in MS however I was unable to ever isolate it. If this is just for the sake of knowledge, draw the product you get via Diels-Aler of benzyne with furan, name it (ChemDraw helps these days), and search to see its decomposition point.

Just a thought. Driving force for retroDA is restoration of aromaticity.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:03:15 AM »
1,4-Dihydro-1,4-epoxynaphthalene mp 54-56 C
AWK

Sponsored Links