Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stability  (Read 1980 times)

Offline LunaHart

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Stability
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:22:12 AM »
Hi,

I could really use some help with the following: which of these compounds is the most stable/has the lowest energy?

At first I thought that it's compound number 3 because oxygen is far more electronegative than nitrogen and thus makes a better acid (lower energy, more stable). But then I looked at the functional groups as a whole and the -NO2 group is deactivating, it withdraws electrons better than the -OEt, which would make compound number 4 a better acid. I am so confused. I am fairly certain that resonance structures play a part in it as well but my mind simply refuses to understand.

All help is appreciated!

Offline kamiyu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-7
Re: Stability
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:43:30 AM »
Compound 4 is more stable. You mention oxygen is more electron-withdrawing than nitrogen is true, but don't forget the nitrogen on the nitro group is +ve charged.

Indeed, nitro is one of the most powerful electron-withdrawing groups.

Offline LunaHart

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »
Compound 4 is more stable. You mention oxygen is more electron-withdrawing than nitrogen is true, but don't forget the nitrogen on the nitro group is +ve charged.

Indeed, nitro is one of the most powerful electron-withdrawing groups.

Thank you, but I'm still a little confused. How does the nitro group's positive charge affect the stability?

Offline kamiyu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-7
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »
Indeed, this question is about the acidity of phenols which is largely affected by the stability of the conjugate base.

The conjugate base is a phenoxide and if the negative charge on the oxygen can be stabilized by electron-withdrawing group (to decrease the charge density) then it will be stable.

Because the nitrogen atom on nitro group is +ve charged, it strongly electron withdrawing and thus the phenoxide is made stable

BTW, ethoxide group (i.e. OEt) is electron donating. Sometimes, you cannot judge only based on the electronegativity of the atoms.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »
These structures are not compounds - these are anions. And these are Bronsted bases.
For me - more stable anion means more basic one. Hence the question is: which of these anions is the stronger Bronsted base (or the weaker acid).
which would make compound number 4 a better acid
- you mean parent compound?
Ka·Kb=Kw
stronger acid means weaker base
AWK

Offline NewmanProj

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 12:05:03 AM »
AWK, the more stable conjugate base will be the weaker one. Think of it this way, what would be more likely to pick up a proton if one were available, 3 or 4?

4 is more stable due to the internal electron sink (to a small degree) but more so due to the extra resonance structures. More resonance = more stability.

Sponsored Links