April 24, 2024, 05:47:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help calculating  (Read 3686 times)

Offline dzidza

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help calculating
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:00:38 AM »
2 HCL +Zn  :rarrow: ZnCL2 +H2

when you use 25ml of 4.0 M HCL to produce H2 gas. how many grams of zinc does it react with? what volume of H2 gas is produced at STP?

Offline dzidza

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
another calculating problem
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 05:08:34 AM »
3Fe + 2Au(NO3)3  :rarrow: 3Fe(NO3)2 + 2Au

throwing some scrap iron in a gold nitrate solution causes the gold metal to precipitate. How much  0.50M gold nitrate solution would react with 224 grams of iron metal?

b) sea water is about 0.50 M NaCl. to produce CL2 gas a company evaporates sea water, melts the NaCl and runs electricity through it. 2Nacl Δ :rarrow:2Na + Cl2 how many litres of sea water are needed to fill a tank with 1 120 000 litres of chlorine gas at STP?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Help calculating
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:16:23 AM »
dzidza:, I hope you don't mind that I merged our two questions.  They seem to work the the same concepts, so the answer to one, will likely help you with the other.  Also, please trouble yourself to re-read our Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to them when you signed up, and we expect you to follow them.  This is a learning forum, we want to help you help yourself. 

Your problems mention a gas at STP, do you know what that stands for, and can you use it in a formula, found in your class notes or textbook, that relates STP to volume and amount of gas?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline KungKemi

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »
Right, so I'm not going to exactly provide the answer dzidza, but I'll try and use another question as an example of how to solve your types of questions.

3H2 + N2  :rarrow: 2NH3. Also written as: 3 mol hydrogen gas + 1 mol nitrogen gas  :rarrow: 2 mol ammonia gas

Right, so an example question would be to determine how many litres of hydrogen gas at STP is required to produce 15 g of ammonia gas. Okay, so with every stoichiometry question the general premise is converting mol of 1 substance to mol of another substance (whether it be a product or reactant).

This mol-ratio is dependent upon the provided chemical equation. For example, the mol ratio required for this question is 3 mol H2 = 2 mol NH3, or 3 mol H2 is required to produce 2 mol of NH3.

Rightio, so, working from here, one simply converts mass of ammonia gas to mol ammonia gas (using molar mass), to mol hydrogen gas (using mol ratio), and finally to volume of hydrogen gas at STP (1 mol = 22.4L).

The calculations look something like this:

15 g NH3 × (1mol NH3/17.0 g NH3) × (3mol H2/2mol NH3) × (22.4L H2/1mol H2) = 30L of H2

Always answer with a worded answer:

"As such, 30 litres of hydrogen gas is required to produce 15.0 g of ammonia gas."

In this case, I use dimensional analysis (it's just easier for me), but the way of answering these kinds of questions require similar variations to the working-out above.

The way to work out your provided questions are similar to the method used above, however, it just requires a few more steps (like doing something with that molarity).

I hope this helps
KungKemi
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:05:01 PM by Arkcon »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:03:36 AM »
Right, so an example question would be to determine how many litres of hydrogen gas at STP is required to produce 15 g of ammonia gas
for 15 g of NH3 - 30 L is OK
"As such, 30 litres of hydrogen gas is required to produce 15.0 g of ammonia gas."
but for 15.0 g should be 29.6 L.
AWK

Offline KungKemi

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »
Right, so an example question would be to determine how many litres of hydrogen gas at STP is required to produce 15 g of ammonia gas
for 15 g of NH3 - 30 L is OK
but for 15.0 g should be 29.6 L.

That is true, if I use three significant figure, likewise, I should use it for my answer.

Thanks for the pickup, AWK.

Sponsored Links