March 28, 2024, 08:47:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Form chemical bonds between atoms  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Whill

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Form chemical bonds between atoms
« on: August 15, 2016, 08:40:56 AM »
Is it possible to produce any desired molecule starting with its respective components (elements) and systematically bind them?
For example, water can be decomposed through electrolysis, the result of the process being O2 and H2.
Now, if the hydrogen and oxygen I stored are both in an enclosed space and exposed to a flame, the result will be a violent exothermic reaction (an explosion) AND water. So through this two processes I could decompose and recompose water. This phenomenon left me wondering...
Is it possible to compose any chemical compound if I have the necessary elements? Sodium cyanide is NaCN, so if I have some sodium, some carbon and some nitrogen, I should be able to (somehow) make sodium cyanide, right?
I know this is a vague and rather theoretical question, but I'd really appreciate some explanations.
I hope nobody considers this question is crackpottery...
Also, if anyone knows about one or more books regarding this topic, please let me know!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:50:34 AM by Whill »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Form chemical bonds between atoms
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
This is a dream and great idea of the first half of XIX century chemists - realized. Now, we do not spend time for synthesis of complicated compounds from elements.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:09:03 AM by AWK »
AWK

Sponsored Links