March 29, 2024, 09:01:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chloroform turning yellow?  (Read 4748 times)

Offline kgapc

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chloroform turning yellow?
« on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would have any information on the stability of chloroform. When dispensing the chemical, I noticed that it would come out clear but as soon as it would hit the bottle it would turn yellow. I understand that chloroform is light sensitive and should be stored in amber bottles as opposed to clear. So I made the switch to amber, but the chloroform seems to still be yellow inside. I am wondering:

A) If this is something to worry about
B) If the chloroform can still be used in this state
C) Of any potential hazards/health risks that may come into play here

I have been unable to find much online or from the supplier, so any and all information you guys have is MUCH appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Chloroform turning yellow?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
Chloroform has additives to stabilize it against decomposition, but it isn't stable indefinitely.  Cf: http://Http://en.wikipedia.org/Chloroform. Under conversion to phosgene
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kgapc

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:14:23 AM »
Chloroform has additives to stabilize it against decomposition, but it isn't stable indefinitely.  Cf: http://Http://en.wikipedia.org/Chloroform. Under conversion to phosgene

Thanks, so if I understand you correctly, you're saying it is in the process of creating phosgene?

Offline kamiyu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-7
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:11:31 PM »
Chloroform, under oxidation, can form phosgene and in turn HCl if there is water

One of the laboratory preparation of phosgene gas is warming chloroform with acidified potassium dichromate (Jone's reagent). The gas can then be trapped by dry ice bath

Indeed, phosgene is a 2nd World War chemical weapon. Termed as "gas of light", it was initially generated by carbon monoxide and chlorine gas where light MUST be present

Sponsored Links