April 19, 2024, 07:00:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 3-cyclohexenone  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Masurium

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
3-cyclohexenone
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:36:03 PM »
I am looking for a good synthesis of 3-cyclohexenone.
Apparently, this could be accomplished by treatment of 1-methoxy-1.4-cyclohexadiene with 70% HClO4, but the cyclohexadiene is expensive, and I don't want to do a Birch reduction of anisole to make this compound. I could make 3-cyclohexenol from 1.4-cyclohexanediol, or by a Diels-Alder reaction of vinyl acetate and butadiene, but then I would need to oxidize the OH. I suppose if I had ketene available I could also effect the reaction with butadiene and should obtain the compound directly.
Does anyone have a suggestion about a relatively trouble-free method?
Thank you in  advance!
Masurium
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:48:44 AM by sjb »

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: 3-cyclohexenone
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:05:29 AM »
Puchase?
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/c102814?lang=en&region=US

Wrong regioisomer (though I appreciate that the synthetic suggestions listed point that way too)?

OP, can you confirm if it is C1CC=CC(=O)C1 or O=C1CC=CCC1 that you're after?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
Okay, I missed that. I just skimmed through and thought it would give 2-cyclohexenone. None the less, I think I'd look up the literature methods. If there is only one, there may be a reason. If there are several, that may also indicate the submitters were not too pleased with the prior methods. I'd even assume they actually tried the literature methods before developing their own.

I cannot determine which is the better course of action, five minutes in the laboratory to save a week in the library or five minutes in the library to save a week in the lab. Needless to say, I don't know anything.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Masurium

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »
sjb:
I started counting on the carbonyl, hence the compound I am after is the one on the right with an isolated double bond.

Offline Masurium

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
orgopete:
Thank you for your suggestions. I have already spent quite some time in the library with that problem (a very enjoyable activity for me). The easiest way would be a Diels-Alder reaction of butadiene + ketene, a ketene acylal or ketene acetal or butadiene + vinyl acetate with subsequent conversion of the cyclohexenol acetate to a ketone. Unfortunately, the cycloaddition with vinyl acetate leads to less than 10 % of the required product (Diels and Rickert, Ann. (1940)). I don't have a ketene lamp, and the necessary ketene derivatives are not that easy to come by.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 04:50:45 AM »
I would imagine that you would have to be very careful as this (the β,γ-unsaturated enone) is relatively unstable compared to the α,β-enone.

What do you need it for? If this is some retron maybe there are other ways of doing the retrosynthesis that form more viable intermediates.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
orgopete:
Thank you for your suggestions. I have already spent quite some time in the library with that problem (a very enjoyable activity for me). The easiest way would be a Diels-Alder reaction of butadiene + ketene, a ketene acylal or ketene acetal or butadiene + vinyl acetate with subsequent conversion of the cyclohexenol acetate to a ketone. Unfortunately, the cycloaddition with vinyl acetate leads to less than 10 % of the required product (Diels and Rickert, Ann. (1940)). I don't have a ketene lamp, and the necessary ketene derivatives are not that easy to come by.

That looks like why I assumed you wanted the isomer. Getting the non-conjugated isomer is probably difficult. Finding a lit prep demonstrates successful methods. It has a CAS RegNo so finding methods shouldn't be difficult. The finding, not necessarily the preps.

I see there seem to be a number of patents in which 3-cylcohexenone is mentioned. Is that the interest here?

Offline Masurium

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »
The compound is indeed touchy and rearranges easily, as seen in the preparation by Hanack (Ber. 96, 2937 (1963).

I would imagine that you would have to be very careful as this (the β,γ-unsaturated enone) is relatively unstable compared to the α,β-enone.

What do you need it for? If this is some retron maybe there are other ways of doing the retrosynthesis that form more viable intermediates.

Sponsored Links