April 18, 2024, 09:00:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Opinion from experienced sought: Hard-copy cover letter and CV  (Read 3342 times)

Offline kamiyu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-7
Do you think hard-copy (paper-based, air-mailed) cover letter and CV causes a better attraction compared with electronic one (i.e. email)??

I have seen some PI state clearly in their group website that only hard-copy cover letters and CV are welcomed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:08:16 PM by kamiyu »

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Opinion from experienced sought: Hard-copy cover letter and CV
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
In this day and age, I find it incredible that someone would demand a paper-based, snail-mailed cover letter and CV. I guess some old-timers may still work that way, but my guess this is just to encourage people from email bombing them with bad application materials. If your materials are good, I think electronically delivered materials would be fine. If you've narrowed down the list of labs your interested in to a half dozen or so, you may consider asking your current PI to send them personal emails to let them know to expect your application and to say a few nice words about you. This will probably increase the chances that your email will actually be read. 

Also, make sure to follow up at least once, about a week later.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
I just read that hard copy is preferred in an article on yahoo or the like
(I was surprised)
but my powers of search have failed to find a link

The article may have been referring to business types (less than perfect memory).

On the other hand this is what a job advice site says in opposition
http://www.prepary.com/should-i-send-send-a-hard-copy-of-my-resume/

But, job advice sites also suggest bringing 5 professional looking hard copies to the interview to pass out.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:01:32 PM by billnotgatez »

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
I don't think it's a bad idea to send out both, and mention in your email that you are sending a hard-copy as well.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links