April 18, 2024, 08:00:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Where's the best place to learn A LOT of chemistry within 24hrs?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline S.O.L.

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm sorry if I'm spamming here, or if it doesn't belong on this website...but I'm feeling S.O.L.

My title seems ridiculous, because it is ridiculous. Long story short,

I am a college student who enrolled into a chemistry 2 class for fall. It said the prerequisite was either Highschool Chemistry, Chemistry 1, or scoring into Chemistry 2. I've taken highschool chemistry before.

I realized that this chemistry class didn't fit my schedule, but there another chemistry 2 class did. This one was at a separate campus which is connected through the same district. This is community college.

I got an e-mail from the chemistry professor saying that Highschool Chemistry did not meet the prerequisite for this specific campus and I need to take the chemistry assessment test tomorrow in order to get into his class.

I'm S.O.L., I know. BUT I still want to try to get into this class because I really need it. If I don't take this class until next semester, I'm 80% waiting an extra year for transferring. It requires intense work and I know I'll be behind even if I score into it. I'm willing to put work into this class.

On Thursdays, it actually requires me to be at that campus from 9am to 5:30pm just for chemistry.

I have looked up Khan academy and watched their videos. Are there any helpful websites out there for me?

The study guide provides these as the things I need to know:

Scientific Notation Calculations

Density Calculations

Percent Mass Calculations

Reading and Balancing Chemical Formulas and Reactions

Types of Reactions (Combustion, Neutralization, etc.)

Stoichiometry (Mole/Mole or Gram/Mole Conversions) >Molarity Calculations

Ideal Gas Law Calculations Atomic/Molecular Structure and Properties: Mass Number, Protons, Neutrons, Electrons

Lewis Electron Dot Structures

Polar Bonds

Chemistry Theories and Concepts:

Phase Diagrams > States of Matter

Periodicity and Group Trends of Elements (Metals, Semimetals, and Nonmetals; Radii Size, etc.)

Equilibrium Expression

LeChatelier’s Principle

Potential Energy Diagram

Heating Curve

Kinetic Molecular Theory

I know that this is going to be impossible for me to learn all that chemistry in such a short amount of time in order to pass this test. I'm just looking to get any help I can. Any website recommendations. Any free lessons online that you'd suggest. I know that no one may read this tonight, but I'm just worried the hell out of my mind.

I actually took a college physics class last semester that did cover some chemistry, but other than that, it's just not fresh in my mind at the moment.

I'm sorry if I'm spamming this site. Feel free to remove this.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Where's the best place to learn A LOT of chemistry within 24hrs?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:34:45 PM »
Your situation sounds almost hopeless, given the time frame, but somehow, I feel like we have to help, just to see this wacky plan of yours come together.  If you had more than a day, I'd suggest you read the GRE Chemistry test preparation books, or the ACS Chemistry prep books in the library.  As it stands, with one day, your best bet is to get a good nights sleep,a decent, filling not too heavy breakfast, and hope you just squeak by on a combination of luck, common sense and the mindset physics gave you.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:45:40 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links