April 20, 2024, 06:17:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Peroxides of THF & Other ethers help  (Read 3570 times)

Offline acvkrs

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Peroxides of THF & Other ethers help
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
Hello all...
I heard that peroxides of ethers like THF and other ethers are explosive. Inorder to find their traces, our quality control dept ppl doing some titration and using the equivalent weight of hydrogenperoxide in their calculation for any type of ether. But as per my knowledge, that might be wrong. I think one has to use the equivalent weight of respective peroxide of ether. Plz suggest.
Thanks.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Peroxides of THF & Other ethers help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:29:26 PM »
Ether forms two type of peroxides: ether hydroperoxides and ether peroxides. In both type of compounds formally 1 molecule of hydrogen peroxide reacts with 1 molecule of ether. During titration we determine both peroxides together as if only hydrogen peroxide was present in ether.
AWK

Offline kamiyu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-7
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »
Indeed, your question is a very good one because a lot of workers underestimate the danger of ethereal solvents, especially diethyl ether.

Ethereal solvents form peroxide when exposed to air and when concentrated, will leave peroxide residue and explode. Some people may argue that the BHT additives will make the solvent safe but I think this is not true because BHT does not have reducing properties and cannot remove the thus formed peroxide. BHT works by radical scavenger before peroxide is formed.

There are many peroxide test. You can go online and search. One of the ways is to potassium iodide solution combined with starch test to see if there is any elemental iodine formed by oxidation of the iodide by the peroxide.

Take care.

Offline acvkrs

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »
So, finally i have to determine the hydrogen peroxide content in ethers instead of etheral peroxides. Right?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »
There is a quite complex mixture of etheral peroxides in ether solution. And you do not know of content of this mixture. So, there is absolutely no alternative.
AWK

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 12:04:04 AM »
There is a quite complex mixture of etheral peroxides in ether solution. And you do not know of content of this mixture. So, there is absolutely no alternative.
+1.  iodometric titration for example.  There are lots of methods available.  SciFinder/literature database.

Offline acvkrs

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »
Oh. Ok let me check. Thank you all

Sponsored Links