April 19, 2024, 03:31:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sodium carbonate buffer and ionic strength effects  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
sodium carbonate buffer and ionic strength effects
« on: September 02, 2016, 09:11:35 AM »
I was helping a group of undergraduate students prepare a 0.100 M sodium carbonate buffer at pH 10.0 from Na2CO3 and HCl yesterday.  I had asked them to estimate the amount of HCl that they would need using the H-H equation and a pKa value of 10.33 (from Appendix III in Perrin and Dempsey's "Buffers for pH and Metal Ion Control."  I had also told them that the ionic strength could affect the apparent pKa value.  They used much less HCl than they had calculated (I now think that 10.33 is the thermodynamic pKa value).

In looking into bicarbonate/carbonate a bit further, I found Table 10.40 in the same book.  It details a buffer made by Delory and King Biochemical Journal (1945).  These workers used 0.10 M solutions of bicarbonate and carbonate in varying ratios.  At 20 °C a 50/50 ratio of the two solutions produced a pH value of 9.90.  My question is whether or not one could use 9.90 as an estimate of the practical pKa value under the conditions of Delory and King.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
Re: sodium carbonate buffer and ionic strength effects
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »
I am examining the data of Bates and Bower (Analytical Chemistry, 1956, 1322), who also prepared a bicarbonate/carbonate buffer.  Assuming that I did my calculations correctly, I obtained an ionic strength of 0.0494 M for this buffer at pH 10.10, where the concentrations of NaHCO3 and Na2CO3 are nearly equal (0.0128 M and 0.0122 M, respectively).  By doing a crude interpolation from their data, I can estimate a practical pKa of 10.12 for the Bates and Bower Buffer.

For the Delory and King buffer, I calculate that the ionic strength is 0.200 M, and my estimate of the practical pKa is 9.90, as I mentioned in my previous post.  It seems to me that in both of these calculations, I am implicitly taking the final concentrations of bicarbonate and carbonate as being the same as their initial concentrations.  I wonder whether or not this is valid.

I am not especially bothered that the two values are not the same, because the ionic strength is not the same.  It seems to me that the trend is in the expected direction. 

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »
Starting from 0.1 M sodium carbonate you buffer with pH ~10 will show ionic strength above 0.2.
At such ionic strength it is difficult to estimate activity coefficients with simple formulas. For this ionic strength a practical pKa will be close 9.8 and activity coefficient for H3O+ about 0.75.
Using program aq_solutions prepared under IUPAC project I calculated table for real(concentration) pKa of some acids and bases for ionic strength values from 0(thermodynamic value) to 1.
Intermediate values for pKa and f(H3O+) may be interpolated at logarithm scale (pKa, f(H3O+, and pKw - if needed)
http://www.kchn.pg.gda.pl/didactics/skrypt_cw/Stale7.pdf (table contains a few word in Polish, but I do hope that is easily understandable even without comments in English.
pH=-log(f(H3O+)·Ka·[conc_Bronsted_acid]/[conc_Bronsted_base])

Calculation added later: for I=0.2 you should add 0.0435 mole of HCl (gaseous) to 1 L 0.1 M sodium carbonate. Final I = 0.21. Further corrections may be neglected.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:35:45 PM by AWK »
AWK

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
In retrospect a better idea than starting with sodium carbonate and HCl would have been starting with sodium bicarbonate and NaOH.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
or NaHCO3 (solubility at 20 C ~1 mol/L) and Na2CO3.
Diluted NaOH reacts with CO2 from air.
AWK

Sponsored Links